Thumb Bolt-On, narrow string saddle for the B

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassel, Aug 20, 2004.

1. bassel

Aug 20, 2004
    Hello there!

I got a problem with my warwick thumb: The string saddle for the low B is much too narrow. Till now i used d'addario strings for the G , D, A and E (45, 65, 80 (not 85!) and 105). The d'addario B doesn't fit the saddle so i took a GHS contact-core 125. This mixture isn't great at all! The B is much too soft for me.
    I guess I am not the only one with this problem.
    Who can help me or recommend a fitting set?

For information: I am playing with pick, mainly hardcore, often chords, often with distortion and fast. I like a metallic sound with heavy and punchy lows.

Thanks a lot!
  2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Actually I always used the Warwick black labels, they fit and sound just right.
  3. I use a Warwick Streamer LX 5, which should have the same bridge as your Thumb, And I use La Bella Hard Rockin' Steel, and the B string is Tapered just like the Warwick Black Labels, which means the B string goes skinny to fit on the bridge saddle. If you want to put non-tapered strings on, you need a rat-tail file and the alteration is permanent. Go to , go the the tech corner and you see this topic there.

All the best

Glenn Minnikin
    United Kingdom
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    SIT Taperwound strings will fit and Carvin Strings will fit. You can get the SIT's at and the Carvins at, welll carvin of course.