1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thumb Bolt-On Volume Cut

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CBBass123, Oct 9, 2006.

1. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    I don't know if this is the right place to put this but i recently purchase a 2001 Thumb Bolt on 6 string with stock mec pickups and electronics. It has 50% volume cut than my Ibanez SR 506BM with same amp settings. With the thumb i have to turn my amp way up with virtually no headroom to spare. Could something be wrong or are the picks or electronis just like that? Its got a good battery and i use proco cables and pickup height is close to strings. Man I love the sound of this bass but i don't wanna have to crank my amp full blast just to cut through the mix.
    Thanks,
    CB

2. From what I can tell, its the Pre-amp.

I say this, because my Thumb BO also had volume issues. I changed out the pickups, and that didnt really affect it. I changed to a U-Retro, and now its stupidly powerful!

3. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Any other TBer's thumbs low output or other warwicks with same pickup/electronics? All the wiring looks good, so i'm thinkin low output preamp as well..

4. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    my bo thumb does not have any problems, i keep my volume on the amp at 3, and the volume on tha bass at halfway at the most(nemesis 4x10 320 watt combo). this is plenty loud for me and the congregation(nice sized church, 250 ocupency). im not sure, but you may be able to adjust the preamp settings in the battery compartment.

5. When you pull out the volume knob, does it cut the sound even further? (active bypass)

IIRC, there is a preamp gain dial on the MEC's, but don't quote me.

6. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    pulling on the knob(deactivating active) cuts more sound a bit...
    I've check the cavity for adjustment but don't see anything i could adjust. I'm not too familiar with the internal pots. Can anybody post pics of their cavities to see what i'm lookin for...
    Thanks

7. the thumb has a very low volume output compared to my other basses. i started a thread exactly the same as this one a while ago

8. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    I read your threads mactac...Its not lookin good...So i'm thinkin that the mec pre has a low output...I'm taking sugesstions...

9. goloa

goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    croatia
    same problem here with thumb BO 5, very low output... i have tu turn gain on my fafner between 1 and 2 o'clock.
    couldn't find any trim pots :meh:

10. I had no issue with my thumb with low output. Running into my DB750, I never had the gain above around 10:00.

Does your amp have a passive AND active input, or a switch for it?
    If so, try it in the passive input, and just start with the gain off, then slowly touch it up.

11. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    I'm using a SansAmp RBI w/QSC RMX 1450 into B410/115 Stack

Both settings on passive front input...

My ibanez SR506BM w/active electronics w/ passive pickups
    sansamp - gain/drive 8:00(basically none)master 1:00
    poweramp - gain 10:00

My Thumb Bolt on 6 w/active elec w/ active pickups
    sansamp - gain/drive 12:00 master 3:00
    poweramp - gain 1:00

12. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    No trim pots either, at least i don't think...Its funny cause my drummer noticed quick...he was like...your 600$ bass cuts through better than your 2000$ bass <--rounding off of course...:bawl:

13. Hmmm... I havent experienced any problems with my 6-string Thumb BO, but mine is with Bassline pick ups. So the problem should be somewhere there: onboard pre-amp or pick ups.
    Maybe you should send them an e-mail direct.

14. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    my buzzard with stock electronics has a low output too, but i have a loud enough rig to help with the cut until i can get a new pre in it. i would try the warwick forums or email dana b goods- a thumb should never have any problem cutting through the mix!

15. brandonie

brandonie Adult Film Music At It's Best!!!!

I'm having the opposite problem with my bolt on. I play through a sennheiser wireless and I keep it down -30db it's lowest setting and I still clip my amp. That is with all the pots right in the middle.

16. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Would changing the pre be a cure...I wanna keep the stock active mec pups...
    I was checkin the bartolini Bartolini NTBT 2 band 3.3 A/P preamp. Anybody try one? or have one?

17. RJones

RJones

Aug 23, 2006
    Stanford, CA
    I'm experiencing the exact opposite. I have an Ibanez SR406, which is significantly quieter than the Thumb BO 6 that I just bought

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021