Thumb Bolt On VS Corvette Pro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vegaas, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Thumb Bolt On

18 vote(s)
  2. Corvette Pro

13 vote(s)
  1. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Hey guys,
    I met a guy who is offering me a good deal on a Corvette Pro.
    How does it compare to the Thumb Bolt On?
    Both are four strings.
    I know the cons to the Bolt On, neck dive,weight.
    What about the Corvette Pro? And please also compare the sound. Thanks.
  2. Of course, it always helps to try out basses before you buy, but IMO this is especially true of Warwicks -- they are just really different from most other basses.

I might feel safe in generalizing that the Corvette is somewhat more mainstream-sounding; it's close to the tone of other active, exotic wood J-basses. The Thumb is truly a unique animal.
  3. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    i second that.

the corvette models offer more of a traditional sound.

the thumb bolt-on is very, very unique. the thumb is what gives warwick its name. more sounds are offered in the thumb bolt-on through the 2-band active MEC preamp, than in the corvette series. and, what i love is, the body on the thumb is very, very small, and it is as comfortable to play as it is to wear. i own a thumb 4 bolt-on myself.

get what fits the bill. try them out before you fork over the dough.
  4. Funnilly enough I tried out both of those basses as I was considering replacing my Streamer LX-5 with a thumb (i have since decided against that idea) and I agree with the other peeps. Thumbs are just the most distinctive sounding bass and I didn't like playing the Corvette. I also love the Thumbs tiny body, but not its weight. I would go for or stick with a thumb.

5. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Both basses are modern sounding, thanks to the active basslines and use of african hardwood.

I find the corvette more versatile. Bypassing the preamp gives you a nice passive jazz bass tone. Not too unlike a Fender.

The thumb is more distinctive. More growl, I've found. having both pickups close to the bridge means that it'll always be fairly punchy.

the corvette has to weigh in excess of 10lbs, while the thumb isn't as heavy but has neck balancing issues.

Hope this helps.
  6. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Thanks for the help guys.
    I already have purchased the Thumb, the thought was that since it was a really good price on a Corvette Pro (not standard) I could sell the Thumb, get some money back and still have a Warwick.
    In the end I decided not to get the Corvette, I am sticking the with the Thumb.
  7. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I like the feel A LOT better on the Corvette pro than the thumb. IMO, the Thumb has a very thick chunky neck with I don't like. I also like how the Corvette pro is not as heavy as the thumb.
  8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I guess it just depends! I have a old 92 warwick corvette pro-line. It is such a diff beast than the newer ones. But i feel this way about most warwicks. If it was a old corvette pro-line versus a new thumb i would get the corvette. Does anyone else agree with me that the older warwick basses r just twice as good as the newer warwicks? Maybe its just me?
  9. I agree to a degree, I've had an early Streamer Stage 2 and it was really nice, I think with the current Warwicks you've got too get out there and play a few! Get round a few Warwick dealers, you'll find most are good, some not too good and the odd one that is as good as it gets.
    In one shop not far from me there is a Streamer Stage 2 that is OK and in another shop a Stage 1 that is sweeeet! gonna go play it again tomorrow, can see me walking out with it!

10. The Warwicks of mid 90's and before are IMO better basses. But flat-out impossible for me to play a 5; The necks, already huge in the present day, WERE EVEN LARGER THEN IMO.

However, the '93 Thumb BO 4 I played was pretty good. Too much highs and mids for me. I like the Thumb NT better, but I often prefer the "neck-through sound" over that of a bolt on.

I haven't ever played the Corvette model.

My big problem with Warwick (besides the baseball bat neck) is their string spacing. I like it wide, personally. Oh man, that comment could really be taken the wrong way... :eek:

I don't have anything else constructive to add to this conversation. Buh bye. :D
  11. I'm probably just echoing everyone else. The Thumb is sweet-great growly mids,very punchy. The Corvette is a great modern J-Bass. It really depends on what you want. I prefer a Thumb,but they also costs significantly more cash. If the deal is that good,jump on it. You can always sell a Warwick.
  12. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I love the chunky warwick necks, I love the body size, I love the good growly thumby sound. Neck dive not too good, but I don't care bout that. the good qualities more than make up for it.

I say good choice, thumbs are sahweet. Hopefully you won't be disapointed.
  13. Yeah, there is no in-between with Warwick necks. Either love-'em or hate-'em.
  14. A few years back I owned one of the Dolphin Pro 2's the cheap budget Dolphin! that had amaple neck and is the illusive "in-between" There insn't much in it, same width, slighly less thick and maybe rounded a bit more, a luthier once told me it only takes a small amount of to be removed from each side of the neck (the area halfway between the edge of the fretboard and the fattest point) to make it feel like a totally different bass!

15. I play a Thumb BO 4. I wanted a 5 string too, but couldn't handle the standard string spacing. I would definitely have to get a broadneck, but wasn't too interested in finding one. Has anyone played a wideneck version of the Thumb??