Thumb.. bolt-on VS neck-through

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Ok.. i've decided to get a Thumb 4-stringer instead of a 5-stringer as my new weapon...

bolt-on = 1384 euro
    bolt-on ( limited edition with bubinga pommele.. only 500 made..) = 1430 euro
    neck-through = 2190 euro

I've played both the neck-through and the bolt-on limited edition.. both sounded great to me..

so.. is the neck-through construction worth the extra 700 euro ?
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000

the thumb BO to my ears is a better instrument in sound than the NT.

but that's just me.

have you played the bass with a strap? the thumb is cool but has GREAT neckdive problems....
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i've never had any neckdive prollemz, and i'm on my fourth thumb (maybe i'm just a tard...or maybe i'm just conditioned to it) an N/T 6. i've also had an N/T 4 and two bolt neck 5ers. the bolt necks (one had a bubinga/wenge neck, and the other a four piece ovankol neck) had a more aggressive attack, where the N/T's had a more compressed sound. my six has a weird sort of mwah quality to it unamplified that my eden won't spit out...oh well. also, it's MUCH easier to hit the 24th fret on the N/T's...which have 26 frets ;) duh starts getting kinda reachy (is that a word?) in the upper register on the bolt necks. are they worth the extra cash? nah, not really, depending on what you're looking for.
  4. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    I bought the n/t because it feel it gives me more possibilities: 3 way electronics as opposed to 2 way for the bolt on, and a wider soundrange (for 4stringers, the neck p/u is way closer to the neck).

The bolt-on is very punchy. The n/t is also, but can also give you a much smoother tone with more sustain. In short, I feel the n/t is more versatile.

So I think it depends on your personal taste. Does the bolt-on give you the perfect tone for your music? Buy it then! Do you play a lot of different styles and like to use different sounds: consider the n/t.

But I don't think you would be disappointed by any thumb, I am certainly not!

5. Merda del Toro !! ( as the italians would say :p )

I've tried them all.. i tried them with a strap, and they both hung in perfect equilibrium..
  6. the Bolt-on limited edition is sweet b.t.w...

i've never experienced a 4-stringer with such sweet lows.. i tried it on an EDEN with a 4x10 and 2x12 ( THE devine combo imo ), and it rumbled so deep and hard that the amp started to walk :eek:
  7. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I have both , but I prefer the bolt on especially with wenge neck.I sold the neck thru 2 weeks ago. Surprisingly that the bolt on has a faster neck than the neck thru [slimmer neck].
    Honestly I never care about the mid range pot.
    I recently change the MEC active pick up to Sadowsky humcancelling. It sounds even sweeter.
    Bolt on is punchier than the neck thru in my opinion.
  8. I've Got a '95 Bolt Love it punch,growl etc. I would go bolt,and put the extra cash in your pocket.i have replaced the volume pot as has almost everybody else.,try to find a used one 'cause the older ones seem a lot nicer to play and sound better{neck woods}.Ciao
  9. If I were you I'd go with the limited edition one, since it has an ebony finger board (and I like the feel of ebony). Or am I mistaking it for another limited model? I would also consider a Maple Monster (link to another thread in which this model is mentioned), if these are still available from the German store that once sold them...
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think that they're both darn fine instruments. and i've owned both ;)

and - since you can rig the electronics to be 18v in the bolt on VERY easily, i actually think they sound better than the 3band 18v electronics. the bolt on gives a more compressed sound and a little less sustain, but i'd probably just go with the bolt on.

actually....that seems like a pretty sweet deal for that limited edition thumb BO. it'll be worth more in the long run too, i'd go with that if it sounds similar to the regular B/O.
  11. right.. like.. i'm browsing for the thumb because it is NOT maple.. i've already got 4 maple basses :p
  12. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    just to say that merda del toro is stronzate and that the neckdive issues i have found on thumb basses are not stronzate to me. maybe i have a different body conformation but the thumb i tried were neckdiving.

13. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I have a 95' Thumb 5 Bolt-on. I played a 92' Thumb 5 NT once and it was a lot heavier than my bass (which is quite heavy). For some reason the playability was really better on the NT. It had a nice low action, that I couldn't replicate on my bolt-on despite the tweaking. The NT construction felt great... It made mine feel cheap. The sound was quite similar, maybe less agressive but with more sustain.

Keep in mind that due to the different pickup placement, a Thumb 4 must sound different than a Thumb 5.

Fingerman is right, I have been having problems with the volume pot for years. Seems it's the "weak point" of the old Warwicks.

Also concerning the playability, it's not so much the neck-dive that bothers me, but the fact that the first frets are hard to reach. It can be a pain if you have to play in the first position for a long time. A "straplock extender" would be the cure.

14. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Just to say that i have a american spector blot on and i find that the sound has maybe more sustain than a neck through warwick basses!!!My teacher who is pro-neckthrough thought mine was a NT when he tried it!!! He was very surprised!! And the sound is more aggresive obviously, especially with emg and aguilar gear in it... I think that NTs basses are more for Jazz kind of music and BO for rock.
  15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've tried both BO and NT Thumb (boths 5's) and I think NT model has bit less punch and more "even" sound - I liked the BO better for it's slightly more aggressive feel (bit more punch and attack). Also, NT has 5-piece neck of two different dark woods and with the oil finish you can feel the grain difference under your thumb.

I think NT might be better suited for fretless, though. BO however, is very close on becoming my next bass, it depends if the used one I tried is still in the store..
  16. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    What do you mean by a more "even" sound Tsal???
    I agree with your opinions on the BO and NT though.
  17. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Save some money and look for an 80s one: it's just another instrument. Newer Thumbs are just junk. No chance to say something different if you have played both. Sorry.
  18. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's bit hard to explain, but to me the NT sounded like it has bit less attack and punch, so with BO the notes tend to "strike" quickly and then fade away, with NT they are bit more 'legato' or longer sounding.

Let's take a boxing metaphor: where the NT model would be a heavy-weight, swinging those huge slow punches with brutal force, the BO version would be more of a mid-weight, having bit less weight behind his punches but hitting quicker. They basicly are very alike, but they just have slower/faster hit. I'm not so sure if that helps you to understand the idea, though :p

ALLODOX, get the pommele one. I know you're a rock player so you'll love the punch, and that pommele-figuring is just beautiful.
  19. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I don't think so. Not unless the style of music you play calls for long sustain. Plus, I like the wood better on the Bolt ons, well it looks cooler at least.
  20. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    That 's right TSAL!! i like your boxing metaphor!!:D
    That's why i say that NT are more for Jazz or Jazz rock music than for rock.I usually play fusion/metal kind of music and i prefer BO basses for that cos they react faster.