Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thumb bolt on!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mclaud, Mar 29, 2002.

1. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    hi!

i need your help! i'm about to buy a new bass, but i can't decide whish one, my options are warwick thumb bolt on 5 strings or thumb bolt on broadneck 5 strings. i know that i shoult try to buy but i can't do that, just order one of them!

tanks!!!

2. The Thumb is a bass you really must play before you buy. Have you played one?

If you can't play one and haven't played one I suggest something standard like a Jazz bass.

3. midlife

midlife

Nov 21, 2001
    You either love the Thumb bass or hate them. I don't think there is an in between.

I personally love mine. It is still my #1 after 3 years.

I agree, do not buy one without first playing it. You will either hate it or love it. Use a nice wide leather strap on it also.

4. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    hi! again.

i have tryed the thumb bass, but i never try the broadneck, and the only way to try is ordering one from germany, so my doubt is, is the broadneck better from the regular?

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    oh god...that broadneck seems way too big for any mere mortal to handle. especially on such a teeny body the neck dive will be unbearable.

if you've played an SSI, that's the same string spacing.

stay with the standard spacing, IMO/IME.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    What are you playing right now?? Do you need the wider spacing, or are you comfortable with narrower spacing??

Just ask yourself this:

How would my playing benefit from owning the broad neck? Or wouldn't it; making it more difficult to play?

7. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    i play with a yamanha bbg4IIs this is a 4 string bass, the warwick thumb bolt on 4 strings standard has 19 mm and the 5 strings has 16mm, the thumb bolt on 5 strings broadneck has 20mm, kind of a music man, this is why i have this questions!

8. 60HzRumble

60HzRumble

Mar 31, 2002
    Harrisburg, PA
    I bought my Thumb Bolt-On 5 about 5 months ago (there's a lesson to be learned here, don't go to the music shop after happy hour, unless the credit card is empty).. I absolutely love the sound of it through my Trace AH600SM and SWR 4x10 cabinet.

9. My position regarding Warwicks is pretty simple. Amazing tone and feel (I love natural or natural-stained basses, oh yeah baby), but I'd have to get used to the thicker neck.

10. mclaud,
    I prefer a wider string spacing with a 5-string over a narrow neck, but I have played a thumb broadneck once and is v e r y w i d e! Much wider than a music man IMO, especially in the higher positions. I personally did not find it comfortable. Don't buy it before trying it out first.

11. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I've had a Thumb Bolt On 5 for 18 months now;mine has the standard spacing.The bridges on Warwicks are designed to be adjustable both for string height and spacing,so I loosened the allen screws that hold the bridges and spread them out a little,and it works great for me.BTW, I've tried a Streamer LX6 with the Broad neck option and it was truly painful!