Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb Bolt-On

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Today I stoped by the Music Shoppe and the salesperson said they were getting rid of their warwicks and he said their 4 string thumb bolt on was 900 dollars. Is this a good price? It was new and in mint condition or at least it looked and sounded perfect.

2. [dfire]knight

[dfire]knight

Mar 30, 2002
    bend, or
    well i have seen them at guitar center for like 1200 brand new.so i would think thats a good price. probly new old stock?

3. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    the price was 1400 but the salesperson said they were half off. He then looked at the price tag and said "this one is 900". So it might actually be 700. So in the 700 range is Warwick the best?

4. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I think I know well Warwick basses... and I think you should get an earlier one. If you want a bolt-on, look for a '98 one... I know that it was the best period for the bolt-ons Thumb...

5. i got a 97 vet o man its sweet.i was going to soend more money and get a new one then i saw my bass on ebay for like 600.so the next time i went in to gc with my warwick i played it then a new one you could tell by the sound and feel my bass was better.i woulndt mine buying a new warwick but if you can get a nice used one go that way.

try a vet there alot like the tumbs but no neck dive and you can get one used one of the handmade ones for like 600.

6. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    I'd say its a pretty good price.

I paid $1362 for a thumb b/o 5 fretless, and recall the 4s going for no less than $1100.

Rgds,
    Kelvin.

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I personally would not pay $900 for a TBO if it has the ovangkol neck. I prefer the wenge, look '98 and before on the number on the headstock.

The wenge is heavier and contributes to imbalance, but that's the tone monster!!!

8. midlife

midlife

Nov 21, 2001
    My Thumb is a '99 and still has the wenge neck.

I love the bass. Still at 700 bucks or maybe even 900, a new Thumb in mint condition is a good price.

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I thought it would be easier to tell which year to look for rather than desribing wenge. I'm pretty sure some time in '99 was when they started to phase out the wenge. I think they made some with both that year, which is why I said '98 and before.

Actually, even if you're pretty new, you can pair up ovangkol and wenge and tell the difference no problem. Just look for very dark wood with a relatively porous surface as opposed to the lighter closed surface.

I'd also adivse to look for the the brass nut on the older ones, rather than that composit adjust-a-nut one. With the brass one, you can raise/lower the individual strings. I also like the heavier nut.