Thumb/Finger Position (6 string)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cassanova, Oct 9, 2005.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im finding myself anchoring my thumb on the B string while I play notes on the G and C string of my bass. Is this proper technique or should my thumb be floating or anchor on a higher string when I go to the higher strings? I would anchor it on the E string on my old Fender 5 when Id go higher, but for some reason with this bass Im not doing that. I know Im picking up and have probably picked up a bad habit or two while learning this new bass and I'm trying to correct them before they become really bad.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Floating your thumb (anchoring it on a string or two behind the one you're playing) is especially helpful on ERBs. Anchoring on the B will leave you stretching pretty far to play the C and G strings, and may leaving you wanting a bass with less strings. Float your thumb. It'll also help mute the strings, as the strings closest to the ones you're plucking will likely vibrate the most, so muting the B string while playing the B string won't be very helpful.
  3. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Personal preference!

I just keep my thumb on the pickup, which i dont see done much with 6er's. I dont feel it is that much of a reach, maybe because of my hand size or just mechanics. I also use sometimes all of my fingers including my pinkie but i usually use that to mute strings.

But I am mostly a metal / prog player and im pretty sure it will vary alot in style. I also play some funk and jazz fusion. i usually float my thumb on the string below ( as you look at your hand as you play) the string i am playing on. I can articulate alot more with this and i feel its needed in those styles of music.

I think you should probably start off with a way and see if it works for you. If your bass is ringing while your playing or if you dont find the floating method is at all comfortable, it just depends on you.