Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THUMB GARD OR NOT? OOOO SCARY QUESTION! LOL

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cool dude todd, Feb 7, 2002.

1. DO U USE A THUMB THINGER OR NOT? I TOOK MINE OFF ITS USELESS AND IN THE WAY I THINK BUT I COULD BE RONG WAT DO U THINK?

2. I don't know if Gard would appreciate that :eek:

3. YA I CANT SPEEL FOR CRAP JUS LOK

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You don't know how to use caps lock either...

And no, I don't use one. Never have.

5. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The youth of America speaks... and again it makes me weep for the future.

6. Hey beermonkey, I'm 15.

7. im 15 too hurray!

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Hey I was 15 once too! What a coincidence!!!! Wow! We all have so much in common. I love this place. ..... And a thumb gard? Do you mean a thumb rest or the huge pickup chrome cover that used to be on fenders?

9. the rest thingy

10. Hey dude, do us all a favour and type properly!
    It a bit of a pain in the @ss trying to decipher all the "cool" abbreviations.

11. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I do anchor my thumb usually, but not always. I use the pickup or the string above where I am playing mostly.

12. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    LOL!!!

:D :D :D

13. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I always anchor my thumb when I play, unless it's one of the exceptionally rare cases where I play with a pick (aarrggh!) or slap.

Does anyone actually play fingerstyle and <I> not </I> anchor their thumb?

14. Yep. Plenty of people do. I'm one of 'em. :D

As for the grammatical & spelling errors...
    All I can say is Mr. Smarty pants is too shocked to even say anything. :p

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just usually leave my thumb trailing vertically across the lower strings when I'm not using it. A lot of the time, I am using it to play notes on the lower strings - anchoring just seem to be very restricting to me.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Alphonso Johnson!
    In a clinic, someone asked him about that('cause it does look 'unusual')...he said that's his muting technique.

...'sounds' as though Bruce is doin' the same thing.

17. I never anchor my thumb. I use it to pluck and/or dampen/mute the lower strings. I find that anchoring my thumb slows me down by stiffening my wrist (for whatever reason). I have more speed when all my fingers (and thumb) are free to move around.

18. Pu me down for another anchorer. I don't find that it limits me at all. In fact, I find it gives me more control. The less movement by my plucking hand, the more consistent my attack is on the strings. It's easy enough and seems to just come naturally to shift the thumb up a string when skipping to higher or lower strings.

I think the only time my thumg isn't anchored is when slapping (obviously!) or during certain chordal approaches, when the thumb is plucking.

SO EYE THINK A THUM GARD THINGER IS GOOD

edit: (I don't actually like thumbrests - I just use the pickup or a string)

19. It's always nice to have a place to put your thumb when your playing but most of them are placed too close to the strings.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nother anchor boy here. To get the attack I like, not to mention tone, I need a bit of force, and the downward pressure of my thumb on the pup keeps me from trying to smack the strings even harder.