Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb, index finger and wrist probs.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Trevorus, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I went to my doctor, and I am having some tests done. Until we figure out what is going on, I would like some reccomendations on how to make things easier on my wrists. I am going to be doing some setup on my bass to make it easier on myself. But any other tings you can think of? Playing position, proper hand position, anything. Thanks for any help, guys.

2. proc83

proc83

Jan 18, 2005
    A good tip I heard from somewhere else is to drink a lot of water before you play. This supposedly helps lubcricate your joints...I'm not sure as I'm not a doctor or anything, but hey, it works for me most of the time.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have also heard that. I really drink to much caffiene, which is a diuretic. So my skin is often dry and that really is an indicator of lack of hydration. So I have ben drinking tea and such rather than soda, which helps.

Any other tips from you bass gurus out there?

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I was having problems since I restarted playing. I figured out that I had less or no pain when I slid the strap around until the headstock was level with my ear and about 12 to 14 inches away. Keeping it that way was a different problem.

5. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Strings as low as possible + light string tension (not too light, but I refuse to use DRs, for instance... too damn tight). Tension as affected by string brand, gauge, and setup.

&

Light playing touch (some people seem to bang strings as hard as they can...). Not only is a light touch good for you hands, but you'll play faster, smoother, and with little or no effort.