1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thumb Markers on Back of Neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowBstring, Jan 6, 2012.

1. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    I've been thinking about putting some kind of marker on the thumb side of the neck so I can find "5th fret" without looking. A bit of scotch tape might be just about right. I have not tried it yet.

Has anyone done this? What did you use? How did it work?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    are you saying that you want to feel where the 5th fret is?

personally, i think that practicing playing with your eyes closed is the best way to familiarize yourself with the fingerboard.

3. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    The 8th fret on my SX is palpable bc it tipped over and smacked the kick drum! I don't recommend this kind of permanent modification!

4. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Thats a pretty Schecter Bass, Im a fan of Schecter, personally I think they play well..

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    A "Braille" bass...:bassist: Bassically like a raised dot...similar to side dots only raised a bit. One dot for G, two dots for A...
    That might work...

6. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    I do that a lot, actually. That's where the idea came from, so I don't have to open my eyes at all.

7. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    G&L, but yeah, I like it. Still might buy something else someday, but I never find anything I like better.

8. A bassist I mix for puts a piece of black duct tape on the back of his necks for just this reason.
    It helps both to find the fifth fret by feel, and to also see it when the stage lights aren't exactly cooperating and the side dots are invisible.
    I would lean towards a small strip of electrical tape myself, as it's thinner and smoother.

Give it a try--see if it works for you.

9. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    My current thinking is to use a wide piece of packing tape. The tape will start at the 5th fret and end at the 7th fret. If I can mark those two I can play whole songs without opening my eyes.

Lead player hates that I play with eyes closed. He's not comfortable with making his change unless I'm looking at him. So we play, and play and play, until finally I open my eyes to see *** is going on with the endless lead solo. He sees my eyes open and he makes his change. I see an exasperated look on his face. I close my eyes again.

10. devilman666

devilman666

Apr 23, 2011
    manchester nh
    The Bass player named The Rev does that because he does overhand tapping and can't see the markers if he wanted to .

11. ...good to see someone mentioned the dots on the side of the fretboard before me - thinking about it now, it COULD be helpful with unlined fretless to have the fret markers on the back in gaffer when learning?

12. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    I had a friend who wrapped the neck of his bass with some duct tape to mark frets. It was ugly, but it probably worked. That would probably make some of you with boutique basses cringe.

13. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    I was referring to the Schecter Diamond P Custom 4 Blue Bass for sale, I thought that was a nice bass..