Thumb NT 5: old vs. new

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Berten, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    I recently bought a Warwick thumb neckthrough 5string in a secondhand shop. The bass is made in 1992 and it used to hang in a store for some years. When the store went broke, the bass was for sale in the secondhand store where I bought it. It wasn't played at all and in great condition (no fret wear, just the wood was a bit dry: I waxed it 3 times the first month...)
    I was told that the older warwicks (pre '98: wenge neck, handmande, brass nut,bartolini PU's, 2 band EQ...) are much better then the new ones. Well, I played a new warwick thumb 5ver in a shop this week: it is NOTHING like my thumb. First of all it wasn't as nice as mine (the figure in the wood was nicer, but it was finished worse than mine). The neck felt thicker and broader and it didn't sound as nice as mine.
    The new thumb was lighter than the old one, but for the rest, mine is better than the new one!
    So the rumour is true! Older warwicks are better IMO!

Just wanted to share this experience...
  2. Chalk it up to the new automated construction of the big W. 92 was all hand made, and wood selected carefully. You've got one hell of a gem on your hands brother, congrats. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you score her for?

3. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    I love my NT Thumb 5, it has such great tone. I owned a 96 NT Thumb 4, and I did like the neck better on that one I must admit. I loved them both, the old and the new. If I could choose, I'd take an older one, but I still love the tone/feel of either...
  4. AmPb100

Apr 25, 2005
    Yeah I reallllly dislike the graphite nut. I ordered my Thumb BO BN 5 string with a brass nut.