Thumb NT Vs. Streamer Stg II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by popinfresh, Jul 6, 2005.

1. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys.I'm pretty much changing out my whole rig and my dream bass has always been a Streamer Stg II or similar Warwick.
    I hopefully have the chance to buy a '89 Thumb 4 for a good price, to buy it though, i'll have to sell my Sterling.

So i'm thinking.. I could probably sell my Sterling now, and look for a used Streamer Stg II. Or I could sell my Sterling, buy the Thumb and see if I like it, then sell it on afterwards if it's not my thing.

Now i'm wondering if it's really worth that effort with the Thumb or not. I've heard plenty of Thumbs, but not so many Stg II's so i'm curious to see how close you could get the tone of these two basses? Could I get the Thumb to sound roughly like a Stg II, or not? Because if it's possible, I'll bother with getting the Thumb and trying it out. I might be able to make some money off it too if I re-sell.

Opinions? What do you guys think I should do? I can't try the Thumb, and I would be getting the Stg II used from the USA, I might be able to play one here first, but i'm not too sure (i'll be looking for a Wenge neck as well).

2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Well i guess it comes down to wether you want 4 or 5 strings?
  3. Hipnotic

Feb 26, 2002
    CT/NY U.S.A.
    Have you ever played the Thumb while wearing it on a strap standing up? If you haven't I would recommend doing so. Once I played the Thumb while standing I realized how uncomfortable it was for me. I think the Thumbs have a unique tone but to me they have a lot of neck dive which I can't stand. I now own a fleet of Streamer Stage II's that I am very happy with. I love their sound and feel that they sit in a much better position for me while standing.
  4. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
  5. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    As a Warwick owner that has owned a 4-string Thumb NT, 5-string Thumb BO Custom Shop, and a Streamer Stage II 4-string, I will say that I lfell in ove my Streamer Stage II the most. My reasoning is this, the body style is nicer (to me) and with the longer upper horn there is no neck dive and the body sits in a more natural position where reaching out to the first few positions is more comfortable. Also, the tone is much nicer to my ears, it has much more bottom end and sparkle as opposed to the Thumb. Overall, the bass seemed more powerful tone-wise. I really liked the two Thumb basses I had but I just liked the feel and tone of the Streamer Stage II better. I ended up selling the Thumbs but I will be keeping my Stage II.

It's all personal preference and opinions will vary according to their ears and playing style but my experience of owning all three Warwick basses at the same time, I have had quite a bit of time to work with them side by side.