1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thumb numbness.

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Zarathustrah, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Zarathustrah

Zarathustrah

Apr 21, 2009
    I've got a recital coming up and been putting in alot of hours.

My thumb suddenly went numb and my arm is following suit.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is this a sign of carpal tunnel?

2. Not carpal tunnel. Maybe a spinal issue, better see the doc.

3. Zarathustrah

Zarathustrah

Apr 21, 2009
    Planning on it.

I'm hoping that it'll be gone in the morning.

4. I hope so too, good luck.

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Check the places on your arm where brachioradialis inserts - just below the elbow on the top as your arm rests in your lap and an inch and a half above the elbow kind of on the outside flat part.

Drive your thumb in there and see if it really hurts. If it does, keep up the pressure until you get the feeling back. I use a small adjustable clamp - if your arms are regular size you can use Vise-Grip clamps. :)

6. Leeners

Leeners

Feb 9, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Numbness in your thumb and then progressing to your arm are worrisome symptoms. It may be due to nerve compression at the level of your cervical spine (neck) or anywhere along the path of your nerves as they exit your neck and then down your arm. Is your hand/arm weak? You should definitely see your doctor.

7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Look. There are all kinds of reasons, some benign and some pretty sinister, that can cause this. An internet forum is about the lamest place to figure this out. Get thee to a doctor ASAP.

8. llatikcuf

llatikcuf

Aug 24, 2007
    Sitting in the mix well
    I had pain down my arm and tingling in my hands as a result of a shoulder impingement (i.e. bursitis) - I too was worried about being able to play. The physical therapy and minding my posture (head back and shoulders back!) have helped me and surgery isn't needed - hopefuly you'll get a simple solution like I did.

9. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    go to a yoga class and stretch out

10. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    +1
    One more time:
    An internet forum is about the lamest place to figure this out.