Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thumb or infinity?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalgod502, Oct 14, 2003.

1. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    im trying to decide between the warwick thumb 4 and infinity 4. i can get them for about the same price but i dont know wich one i would like better. iv been wanting a thumb for a long time but now im starting to lood at the infinity

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I don't have a Thumb, but I do have an Infinity (5 string) and I can tell you it is a killer bass. I have heard that the Thumb doesn't balance well. The Infinity balances fine. I think sound wise, the Infinity may be a lot darker. I think Thumb is quite bright in tone (especially with the two J pickups close to the bridge, while the Infinity, being hollow, and having the pickups in a more traditional position, has more bottom end. Furthermore, the Infinity bridge pickup is a "double J", or a humbucker, though you can tap it to single coil by pulling up on the mid tone knob. My vote, go for the Infinity unless you really crave the Thumb sound.

Steve

3. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    SMG - You are correct about the pickup placement on the 5 string Thumb but on the 4 string Thumb that metalgod is thinking about, the J pickups are spaced as normal, not both close to the bridge.

The Thumb basses have as much bottom end as anything and can be as bright as you want to make them, it's up to the user. The bolt on Thumbs have a 2 band preamp and the neck throughs have a 3 band.

http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I say go for the infinity

5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I have a bolt-on thumb 5. It is my main gig bass. It has captured my heart more so than the other 9 basses I own. This means tone wise & feel wise. Balance was a problem, but that was cured with a wide Zon leather strap.

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    infinity, i love mine. ive played thumbs and infintiys side by side and i personally like the feel and sound of the infinity better.

7. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    something about the semi hollow thing doesn't do it for me on some styles. It sounds great, but it loses some meat along the way.

Other than that, both are winners.

8. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I agree with lamarjones, the tone is great but does lose the "meat" for certain applications.

As far as the balance issue goes with the Thumb basses, buzzbass hit the nail on the head, with use of a proper strap you won't have the problem. I realized this right away when I bought mine and purchased a strap that had suede on the inside so it grips your shirt better and the neck will not dive.

http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i should probably mention mine is the infinity sn. its solid zebrawood. no hollow.

10. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    zongeek - even though you don't have the F-holes, the bass is still chambered so you will still get a different tone quality out of it. I'm not saying that is bad or anything but just saying that it is not a solid body.

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ah, did not know that. i thought it was solid body. hmm, well it does sound different i will say. thanks for the info.

12. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    what about a dolphin pro I? i hear there pretty nice same picup configuration as the infinity.

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    IIRC, they are much closer to the bridge though.