Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thumb....overrated?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Jan 2, 2002.

1. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    ok, i know im gonna get totally demolished for saying this....but isnt the warwick thumb a little overrated?

i played one in my store yesterday, and, well, it seemed a little shoddy on the workmanship side., the GLUE was showing to be running around the neck.....and the pickups were pretty badly cut-around.
    Also, the sound didnt have very much variability to it, but that mightve been me or the strings ;)
    And i also think they look a little bit, er....misfigured....i dunno.

did i pick up a misfit? or was this true of all the thumbs?

*ducks for cover from abuse he is about to receive*
    :rolleyes: ;) :confused: :confused: ;) :rolleyes:

2. hmmm... Warwicks have a pretty good rep, so I think maybe you have gotten a really bad one or maybe a cheap copy.

But you might want to wait for some of the more Warwick savvy people here (*cough* warwicknut *cough) to answer.

3. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    .....Well, it definately wasnt a copy.....denmark st here in london doesnt do that kinda tang!....

yeh, im cowering under the table for when they get here!

:rolleyes:

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I would find another Warwick to try before I condenmed the whole lot of them.Like any other mass produced type of product,(cars being a great example)its possible for a lemon to slip thru the cracks of quality control every now and then.

Ive played MIA Fenders that were great,and Ive played MIA Fenders that were worse(imo)than the Squier hanging next to it.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I wouldn't worry about Warwicknut, I'm not sure what happened to him, but he's not even in the member registry anymore. If anyone knows what's up, PM me. :(

As for the Bass, don't go by a floor model. I've played Warwicks at GC and they were crap because everybody and their mother had played and abused the hell out of it.

6. shhh.
    Warwick Nut is WoodChuck.

p.s. the eagle flys at dawn.

7. ...And the curds rise to the top. I would love to talk politics but thought this was about basses? I like the thumb basses, they really have great lows. I don’t see how their over rated.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was in Denmark Street yesterday - not many good basses about at all! Not one that inspired me to get it off the wall to play. :(

Anyway, I think you have to realise that with the number of Warwicks about now, they are very much a mass-produced instrument and like Fenders in this respect.

So when they started out, there was a lot of care and attention lavished on every one, but as you make more and more, then there is more and more chance that shoddy examples are going to slip through the net.

This is why I would never buy a bass without trying it extensively first.

I'm sure if you tried one of Jack Bruce's custom-made Thumb basses they would be awesome - or if you had bought a Thumb when Warwick first started up production in Germany.

9. Were these new or used? If used, what were their dates (stamped on the end of the neck: thus ) - I have two Warwick Thumbs dating from the early 1990s, and I think the workmanship on them to be first-class. The newer Warwicks have the reputation of being rather shoddy compared to the older ones - you might want to go for something used...

- Wil

10. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    its was new as could be, er...well, as new as i could tell, had new strings...and no grime/dirt/dust..
    Denmark st....more for guitary people really, but still, the basecellar is very nice ;)
    still....

it was probs a bad apple.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    And here I was all worried. No one tells me anything. I should really post on a more consistent basis.

12. Bruce Lindfield

I was in there on Wednesday and they didn't really have any basses I wanted to try and most have been there for the last year or so. Plus it was full of teenage "timewasters"! :mad: There were like groups of kids and one would be playing a bass really slowly and badly, making it pretty clear they knew nothing about playing and were never going to buy anything. All the dealers were complaining about it.

I was standing next to one group and the "player" slapped literally one note very badly and his friend said "cool - play that funky stuff man!" And he was serious! :rolleyes:

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i had a warwick thumb neck through 4 banger and i totally loved it...so, not all thumb basses are overrated. we don't enjoy as much personal attention to detail from hans peter as we did in the past; they are no longer created equal...to understand what i mean, play a thumb bolt on next to an early 90's/late 80's handmade thumb bass. no contest...that's not to say today's thumbs aren't good quality basses, but you'll have to play several of today's thumbs to find the "one." in my opinion, ovankol is crap. when the bolt on thumbs first came out they were constructed with necks of wenge and bubinga like the neck through thumbs. i even saw one with a 3 piece all wenge neck...sort of like the first fortress and corvette basses...a tone beast! you love them or you hate them. my misguided opinion...

14. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    bruce: yeh, u get lotsa that, kids with chains and redcaps slapping/mashing with their fists!

i must admit im guilty of trying out the highends....oooooooooh, the streamers (which i personally feel much better with than the thumbs) ...yum!
    And having no intention of paying whatsoever, but i pack it in as soon as possible...and u never know, i might come into 500 sometime!

yeh, i guess ure all right....the more product is produced, the more room for error on their part.
    just hope some close minded people come accross that bass and damn the entire warwick series. :eek:

Theres some guy on here with a reallycool and funny sig about the kids with toys issue...i cant remember his name tho :(

Ok, thumbs might not be all that bad....But STREAMERS are the bollox.

15. Bruce Lindfield

I prefer Streamers as well - but really you're looking at £1,000 - £1,500 to get a decent one - £500 would be a huge (Brad Johnson-esque!) bargain! I am currently tempted by a Streamer Stage neck-through in my local shop which is second-hand at £999.

16. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I bought my Thumb Bolt on in 97. It was £600 sh. The shop wanted rid of it as it was fretless and most of their bass playing customers were and are Fender types.

Mine is a 96 with a Bubinga body and wenge neck with an ebony board.

The only thing I can fault with it is the MEC electric which I replaced in a well documented thread in the pup forum.

I think that the build quality is ok and the biggest problem with Warwicks is that the shape and construction is 'quirky'. I first tried a Thumb in 88 and hated it.

17. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    ive seen second hand streamers for £500...
    they were in pretty good con too.. i guess the guy didnt really know what he had....
    :confused:

yeh, they do look a bit ......er......strange..;)

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Streamer Stage I or II models, or stuff like the Streamer Pro M or :eek:Streamer Standard:eek:? If you see a Streamer Stage model for £500, buy it! That is an extreme bargain on a killer bass.

BTW - I should have moved this to Basses long ago, and I am doing it now.

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    is the thumb overrated? i don't know, i use both of mine on a daily basis. :D

i used to have a pin that said - "cat's with thumbs = bad idea". could you imagine the havoc if they could actually grab things? :eek:

20. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You know Bruce, Warwicks tend to do that. My first attempts on slapping were at local music store with a bubinga Corvette, I had no idea what I was doing and still managed to have some beginning geetarist stare me eyes wide :D