1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thumb Owners: info and opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warpeg, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    My 1998 Warwick Thumb NT will be arriving new (to me) next week. Can you all clarify exactly what the pros and cons are of this year as opposed to pre- and post-1998? This is the model with the non-brass just a nut, MEC's, ovankol.

2. massrequiem

massrequiem

May 25, 2005
    Oxnard, CA
    I know that the pre 1998 models were able to have the truss rod removed making neck repairs much easier and cheaper. I have a friend that jacked up his trust rod and now has to get a whole new neck. Totally lame. The new nuts are too fragile in my opinion. congrats on the purchase thought they have a sound all there own.

3. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    i have an '01 Thumb and all i can tell you is get a thick comfy leather strap to play with and you should have no trouble..balance is an issue but they sound fantastic...they are the eptiome of the warwick sound:bassist:

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well done on scoring yourself a cool bass! My favourite type of Warwick as it happens! That said, I've never played a 1998 model (I don't think), so it's a real gamble as to whether you're going to get the old-school specs...

5. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    I have a early 98 BO. Note that it will be a far cry from your NT. Anyway...

Setup :
    4 piece wenge neck, wenge fingerboard.
    Dark ovangkol Body.
    2 MEC Jazz pup.
    2-band MEC pre-amp.
    Warwick secure strap locks.
    34,5'' length.

Comfort : Pretty dire.
    Heavy.
    Neck dive (Horizontal balance, back straplock pretty high on body).
    Thick neck.
    no pup near bridge -> no Thumb anchor (but I don;t use thumb anchor anymore).

Sound : Awesome!
    Aggressive, snarly, dark low-mid growl.
    Good Articulation.
    Snappy slaps.