1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thumb pain

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by alexit, May 14, 2006.

1. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    I've been playing for a couple of months now, and I have a pretty good teacher, but I'm running into a pain in my left thumb quite a bit, makes it almost unbearable to play a song more than 3-4 minutes. I drink plenty of water and stretch before I play, which makes it a little better, but it's still just painful to play for extended periods and it's hurting my ability to make smooth transitions.

I think I have an idea of where the problem is coming from: my thumb moves all over the place on the neck. I've been advised to try and keep the thumb in the middle pointed toward the nut at all times, but I have big hands and I'm playing on a J bass neck, and it's really hard to keep my hand balanced, especially when playing fast. It also puts a lot of pressure on my wrist. I get the most pain going up to the G string quickly, I notice my thumb is almost perpendicular to the neck and touching the side of the fretboard.

2. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    I had that problem too, but what i did is i just put alot less pressure on the thumb, and instead of having my thumb pointed straight, i put it at an 30 degree angle from the neck....i dunno if it's proper, but it works...for me, at least

3. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    Thanks. I've been watching some pros do it, they seem to keep it at a fixed angle too.