Thumb pain

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Steve S, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I've been having pain in my right thumb and think it's because of the way that I play - fingerstyle. Sometimes I experience excruitiating pain when I try to pick up something. Is there something that I'm doing wrong?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I have played fingerstyle for 16 years and have had no problems. Could you describe how you use your thumb while playing?

Maybe the pain is being caused by stress inflicted on your hand from another activity.
  3. Yeah dude...

I've played fingerstyle for the whole time I've been playing(5 months) and I haven't gotten any pain,well I get a little uncomfortableness when I press down to hard on the pick-up...but when I just rest it there normally it's all gravy...

try cracking your thumb/knuckles before playing and then rest your thumb on the P/U don't press...

my 2 cents

4. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
  5. maybe you snapped something? ripped? exploded?:confused:

6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
  7. Yeah...I'd def. get that checked out..

good luck man,get well soon!

8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thank man. I made an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow.
  9. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    You may have your bass in the wrong position (height). I played mine relatively low for too damn many years and it resulted in carpal tunnel in my left hand and occasional pain in my right thumb like yourself. I now wear my bass high, fusion geek style, and the pain and discomfort have decreased a hell of a lot. Probably 90% or more. Make sure your bass is in the right position. Who cares what your friends think. :)
  10. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    The doctor diagnosed my pain as tendonitis and gave me three weeks of naproxen. He also wrapped my right hand tightly. I hope I can get through two gigs this weekend.....
  11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Good luck.

If you can barely lift a sheet of paper, naproxen may not cut it.

I recall once having had the pleasure of doing a gig
    at the Call [ Last Call Saloon ] in Providence one fine evening after having dropped the vice jaw head of a metal lathe, which came to rest on top of the lathe carriage. Unfortunately, my right middle finger softened the blow of the head.

I found that playing with a metal splint on my right hand served to do wonders for my picking technique, which I had to resort to to complete the sets. In frustration, I pulled the thing off while laying out in a song, as I totally could not move my hand at all in any predictable manner.

Rotten luck, hang in there.
  12. I suggest not to gig....chill out and relax...I know that may sound stupid as hell,I mean Drop a GIG?! dont wanna make permanent damage on your hand,yah dig?

take care...get well soon.

13. I sometimes feel pain in my left (fretting hand) thumb. When I play something fast and complex my thumb starts hurting a little, and eventually it hurts quite a bit. I guess it's because I'm pushing the neck too hard with my thumb, but any suggestions?
  14. I did the same but I dunno,I think after time it stopped...

the only thing that hurts after awhile is my one muscle(right hand) due to playing really fast....or my left hand(palm area) from holding down on the frets real hard...