Thumb pains

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tehdouglas, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Tehdouglas

Feb 10, 2006
    Has anyone experienced any of the effects of RSI in there career as a bassist? Im looking for adviced on my left had thumb. I can keep my fingers fairly relaxed however in order to keep them in the correct position Im pushing my thumb against the neck and Im afraid the position might be unhealthy for my finger and lead to such things as tendonitis, as my thumb does hurt somewhat after playing from all the pressure applied and being in the same "thumns up" position. Any help?
  2. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    I really dont see how its possible to keep you fingers relaxed but your thumb pushed in hard against the fretboard. If your thumb feels tired and the rest of your hand doesn't then theres something wrong with your technique chances are.

You'll actually be suprised how little pressure is needed to hold down a note on a bass. Give it a try just push in just enough to sound the note. Try playing with the minimum pressure needed focus only on your hands and not so much the music.

I've just thought that if your curling your thumb around the neck you could play with high thumb pressure and relaxedish fingers. If your doing that place that thumb on the back of the neck where it should be and raise the height of your bass if need be
  3. MEllO

Apr 23, 2005
    hey, I get the same problem....i just like try to stretch and massage it. yer its a pain in the ass!:mad:
  4. Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I also suffered from that habit. You have GOT to stop pressing the thumb against the neck. The thumb should be a guide, you shouldn't draw ANY force from it. Practice playing without the thumb even on the neck for a while and consciously stop yourself. The pain wont go awya if you keep playing like that.