thumb pinky slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 4stringkiller, Feb 24, 2004.

1. 4stringkiller

Feb 20, 2004
    latley ive been trying to slap with my thumb and pinkey
    what i mean is i slap with my thumb and rotate my wrist and slap with my pinkey. it works at times but its a really sloppy and choppy sound.
    well i was just wondering if any one else does this? if you do is there any way to make this sound more pure. if you dont understand what im trying to say but you might just say some thing ill try to re phrase the ? .

4 string killer
  2. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    To be honest I have never had the urge to learn this, or never found the need! Don't get me wrong, i'm sure someone around can use it to great effect. Its just not the kinda thing I'd put my effort into learning. Just my 2 cents :p

Sorry I didn't actually help you there!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    dead end technique, if you ask me.
  4. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Thats kinda the way I was hinting lol, just wanted to break it to him gently. Ah well may as well say, its not even really worth learning, just use normal slap and become much better at it!

There are more important/useful things to practice.

5. I use it :oops:
    - I can't do the left-hand slap thing so I get triplets with my pinky.
    it works if you have the bass low, thumb pointing down like Flea.

actually, IIRC the slaphammer device that Mark King was endorsing used the pinky.
  6. Wantsafoderabas

Feb 11, 2004
    HAHAHAHAHAHA ive tried this multiple times, look if u want to get the double slap or something (double feel is it?) JUST do what vic does Up and down with the thumb. once you master that add the pluck, then add another pluck with middle finger. Practice it then do it in just one string.

7. I have been doing this for a while. I thought I was the only one who did it much. Honestley after I got use to it, I worked on consistant slapping with thumb and pinky, and sometimes play too fast. The trick is in the rotation of your hand. Make it consistant with both thumb and pinky. Try to start slow, practicing on the E string. Then try playing full chords and rotating your hand with a tilt. Thumb up pinky down, then rotate back level with the E string. Also octaves are a good way to practice this too.

Another thing to do is what I like to call "bumping" bump the strings with both thunb and pinky. You will get a real light humming sound out of it. Then start working some jazz scales, and switch from "bumping" to "double slapping" then to slap, with your thumb only. Also try to pluck with your ring finger while you are double slap. Its hard but comes in handy when writing your own stuff.

Its hard to master, but once you do master it. You can play as fast or as technical as you like. Its just waaaaaay more time consuming to learn than other techniques. This is also the first time I have ever heard anyone else talk about it.

I hope this helps.
  8. I can do it with my right hand but only on the E string :)
  9. Goldsac

Mar 15, 2004
    The 'Hill
    I've kinda done this for the past year in my spare time, while driving or whatever. I don't really do it to attempt a double slap or anything, but its made my thumb so much more responsive for quick thumps (Claypool style mind you). And the double slap thing on muted strings works wonders for an end-of-song/set-madness session :bassist: