Thumb plant on most P/J style basses....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mariner, Mar 2, 2005.

1. mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I've contemplated this for some time. Was wondering if anyone had any comments or opinions either way.

I notice a lot of P/J style basses have a plastic shelf above the strings to plant on. My P-bass does not. I plant on the pickup mostly or just about any other place my hand lands.

Is it helpful to have that there, for anyone?

Are there any folks out there that had one and didn't like it?

Being a lefty, there's no easy way for me to go try one and I'd hate to stick one on to find it did me no good...
  2. Get a scrap piece of wood...preferrably a soft wood for the prototype (Hardwood for a final product)....carve and sand it to shape and size....stick it on with double-face tape...try it out...if you like it...go for a more permanent option.

Personally, I always rest my thumb on a string or two above what i'm playing. When I'm playing E-A, I use a thumbrest or E string...When I'm playing D-G, I use the E or A string...

I added a thumbrest to one of my basses and like it...although I don't keep my thumb there all the time. My other basses don't have thumbrests, but it's not really a problem.
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    If you do a bit of a search someone came up with a removable one - I forgot what they were used with, but those rubber things that have an adhesive., aI'm not good with specifics.
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Are you sure you need one at all? I've never had a rest on any bass I've ever owned, and I've never missed it. If you don't already have a need for one, I don't see any point in cultivating the need.