Thumb posistion on the neck.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Oct 30, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Lately I have been watching a lot of videos and bootlegs and what not. Anyway, I see a lot of players (Chris Chaney, Jack Bruce, Billy Gould, Geddy Lee, Roger Waters...) sometimes put their thumb on their fretting hand over the neck. Like over the E-string, I guess for muting.

I read once, a while back, on here that that was bad technique. Well I do it too. But I tend to do it more when I am playing standing up with a strap then I do sitting down. Or relatively the same.

Anyway, does anyone else? Thoughts, opinions?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's generally considered bad technique to float your thumb over the FB, yes. But tons of great bassists do it. My advice: when you're practicing or at a lesson, don't do it. When you're on a gig, whatever gets you through it is fine.
  3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Yeah, I'm with you on that. I find I do pretty much that exact same thing, certain places on the neck I find my thumb goes over without thinking about it. I make an effort not to play like that, because when playing some things, especially parts where you have to use 1 finger per fret, the ehumb obver teh neck anchors your hand and limits movement.
    Still, as said, there are LOADS of amazing bass players that do it at times and it doenst seem to hinder them. You rarely see a decent bass player play like that all the time.
  4. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Thanks guys, will do!