Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thumb position - i started my own method, should i change to moores'?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by orangejazz, Dec 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangejazz

orangejazz Banned

Dec 20, 2004
    hi,
    I started to play thumb using the thumb and the first 3 fingers but instead of keeping my thumb on the G harmonic and finger 1 on A, 2-B & 3- C (in C Major) all on the G-string. I just bounce my thumb on the G harmonic and then use the tumb on the A, 2 - B & 3 -C. Its basically using the four finger but shifting the first fingers job the the thumb & so on.
    The obvious difference is that i dont have the thumb on the G harmonic to reference from but i can play really fast scales and in patterns (like electric players normally think!).
    i bought michaels moores book and CD on how to play in thumb position and the first thing that surprised me, was that I don't much care for the sound of the intonation on the CD. So im in two minds whether or not to make the transition to his (i would assume) more conventional thumb position tecnique.
    Also he with using this tecnique u have to be able to run through say a jazz chart before u improvize over it to work out what positions u use, where as with the tecnique im using u can just play all the patterns i learned on electric really fast (probably with bad intonation but who cares , no one can hear the individual notes at that speed anyway!), joking!.
    cheers

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If you don't care for Michael's intonation, feel free to post a clip of your own playing surpassing it on our own sampler page. Damon doesn't charge for hosting, and I'm sure you'd get a lot of interested listeners. Why wait? Post now and avoid the rush.

Please fill out your profile so we can know more about where you're coming from. Especially of interest to me personally is whether English is your native language. If not, no problem, and I applaud your bilingual aptitude. But if so, I have a few constructive comments about your "intonation". Merry Christmas.

3. orangejazz

orangejazz Banned

Dec 20, 2004
    i'm from cameroon, i had my own language before french, so don't tell me how to speak, can u speak my language?
    As for your sampler, most of the bass playing is awfyl as is intonation! you need to clean your ears out and change your right wing view on life.

4. Yep, he's seen through our clever disguise and figured out that TBDB is the nexus of the vast right wing conspiracy.

5. NOISE!

NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    I didn't know that we were all typing in french, cool.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I only speak Amurrican, so, sorry, I'm not getting it at all. Is all the music in Cameroon in G major? Otherwise, I can't see the use in bouncing de tumb on the G harmonic. I find I need to use all ten keys; one for each finger :eyebrow:

Signed, sincerely wanting to learn.

P.S. I haven't seen Michael's bass video, but I loved "Fahrenheit 9/11".

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Reading is easier if you don't sweat comprehension. See my post above.

As I said, if you think you can do better, by all means put samples of your own playing up to back up your rather anemic insults. In the meantime, I really don't see the point of wasting any more precious holiday time on something as dumb as this. Clearly, if he were looking for help, even an exceedingly stupid person wouldn't begin by insulting those he sought help from, so I can only assume that you came here to troll rather than to ask for help. If you can't grow up and show some respect toward other members here, then your petulant whinings will be rewarded with a free vacation from TB.

Bah, Humbug. :scowl:

8. Petulant whinings?
    Durrl, GET DOWN! That's about as right wing as you can get! ;)

9. orangejazz

orangejazz Banned

Dec 20, 2004
    ok u win, im just winding u up, i see you are all on the attack ready to pounce on easy misguided & ignorant prey such as myself, it kind of reminds me of your president's regime! are you going to come to cameroon now and drop double basses on me?
    ny the way i was refering to one example in the key of C, obviously u tosser i change mu TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTumb position OOHH dear i made a typing error!! BOO HOOOOOO MUMMMY!
    u bunch of fags!

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Enough. Bye-bye. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.