Thumb position playing high up (with pics!)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bizarroStormy, Nov 19, 2003.

1. bizarroStormy

Feb 16, 2003
    My bass instructor doesn't seem to think this is a problem and he doesn't have it because he's double jointed but it's been bothering me. When playing up high (10th fret and higher) my thumb has a tendency to turn sideways instead of resting flat.
    See pics:
    Is this ok? It seems to be better when I stand and play but generally I sit when I practice.
    So should I worry about this and try to correct it or should I just let it be?
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Does your thumb push harder when in that position? Does it hurt?

It's certainly not conventional, but I don't think it's putting up any barriers for you, if you're not hurting yourself.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I thought that you meant playing in thumb position.

Like this.

4. As long as it doesn't hurt you or hinder your playing it should be okay. I'd imagine your wrist would be uncomfortable if you played a lot of chords though?
  5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I don't know if this will help but if [ without the bass] you check the position of your thumb while your arm is further away from your body and hold it in playing postion, you will notice that the thumb has a tendency to turn as your arm gets closer to your body.

Note that the effect is more pronounced if the hand is held lower with respect to your waist.
    Experiment with a higher postion, such as strapping the bass on and playing it higher, not lower, and see what happens.

6. bizarroStormy

Feb 16, 2003
    That's exactly what's happening! It doesn't bother me too much, only when I think about it. I was just wondering if I was the only one with this issue.
    And yes, adjusting the height definitely helps, it's just a bit uncomfortable for me.
    Maybe I should try and get used to it?
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

While I was whompin it last nite, I took care to notice. My thumb turns slightly also, but it does not hurt or bother me.

Play as naturally and as comfortably as you can.

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Just play natural. As long as it doesn't hurt and doesn't make you play bad, I would't worry :cool: ;)