Thumb position

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Marzer, May 7, 2005.

1. Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
    Where should I put my thumb on a yamaha bb404?

First pickup?

(sorry for the huge newb question)
  2. Fevernova

Jan 23, 2005
    Where you want it?

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I rest my thumb on the first pickup of my Yamaha when I'm playing the B string only. The rest of the time, I use it to mute the adjacent (lower toned) string I'm playing... (slapping doesn't follow this rule, tho) :p
  4. Depends what sound you're after really. If you want a rounder tone, go for the neck pickup. if you want a growly tone, bridge pickup. Experiment, that's the best thing you can do. Of course, you don't even have to anchor your thumb.

Hope this helps. Enjoy playing!
  5. Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
    well I like the sound on the first pickup, but to get the G string, my hand arches too far and sometimes it feels like a nerve is being pinched. On the other hand, when I put my thumb on the bottom of the fretboard my hand is fine. I like the sound on the first pickup though, so is there a certain way I should put my thumb?
  6. Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I would go with the suggestion of not anchoring your thumb... It's easier, it's what Jamerson did too.
  7. Ouch, sounds nasty :meh: . The only things I could think of is, if you want to anchor your thumb that is, to start gently stretching your hands to get them used to the stretch to the G, or to anchor the thumb on your E string when you're playing the G.