Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb position

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Davidoc, Nov 27, 2002.

1. I just started playing URB in my schools wind ensemble (just to annoy the orchestra teacher :))

Anyways, I was reading about thumb position on URB.

From what I gather, it's kind of like first positon, only you use your thumb on the fingerboard. (good way to injure yourself on EB)

I've been getting along fine wihout using my thumb like that. What's the point? Where can I learn more about this? Thanks!

2. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    "Evolving Upward" (by Rufus Reid) is a classic on thumb position. He has a new book entitled "The Evolving Bassist" which I believe also covers thumb position.

Touch

3. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    From your double bass teacher

4. Thanks for the info Touch.

Rablack, I don't have a teacher. (Oh, you already knew that? Was your post supposed to be funny?)

Maybe I should get a teacher, but not having one right now is sure not going to keep me from learning as much as I can about Bass.

5. Oh, yes it is.

6. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    you might wanna get the simandl or rabbath or vance or whatever method book you would like...there is still a lot you can get from those books, even if you don't have a teacher right now

best of luck

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There are roughly as many thumb positions as there are bass players. If you think things aren't standardized in the lower positions, wait til you see how many competing methods there are for stuff above the octave!

The popular stuff is Simandl Book 2 (which continues with the approach of devoting a finger per half-tone), and the Rabbath/Vance stuff, which has you cover G to D in a single position. Reid's book is popular too, but I don't know much about it.

8. Thanks alot! I'll look into those books.