Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb position

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Davidoc, Nov 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I tried this in the DB section, but it appears I'm not entitled to responses until I get a teacher. I figured you guys are nice, and maybe know a thing or two about DB.

Thumb position
    I just started playing URB in my schools wind ensemble (just to annoy the orchestra teacher )

Anyways, I was reading about thumb position on URB.

From what I gather, it's kind of like first positon, only you use your thumb on the fingerboard. (good way to injure yourself on EB)

I've been getting along fine wihout using my thumb like that. What's the point? Where can I learn more about this? Thanks!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would suggest a moderator moves this thread to DB, as it is about DB playing! ;)

3. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Im not sure exactly what you mean, but i wa tought the proper way is to point your thumb on the back of the neck. That way you have to flexibility and your fingrs can stretch farther and move faster.

(basically Dig your nail and pad of the thumb into the back of the neck)

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i was taught to use the side of my thumb, below the cuticle, above the knuckle.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Since you said you already posted this in DB, I wont move it there.

Get a teacher. And don't post RealBass questions in the BG forum.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.