Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb problem...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BenKrishman, Feb 15, 2006.

1. BenKrishman

BenKrishman

Feb 15, 2006
    I have a question I thought you guys might be able to answer for me. In both of my thumbs the knuckle allows my thumb to bend backwards at 90 degrees, so my thumb is shaped like an L. When I play bass(I'm right handed) my left thumb is always bent at 90 degrees so that the palm of my hand is not paralell to the neck its perpendicular. I don't know if I explained that very well, don't be afraid to ask me to clarify, but I would like to know if this is something that I need to fix with my playing technique. I've tried to straighten my thumb out when playing, but it feels very forced and unnatural. Is this something I should try to change or am i just worrying about nothing?

2. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Have you tried pointing your left thumb to the head stock? I don't have a thumb joint like yours, but the pointing of the left thumb toward the headstock has been a "correct" hand position I heard from several teachers.

3. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Post a pic of your playing position and we can help : Good to see you here

4. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    I think the thumb works best behind the 2nd finger.

5. i always put mine where ever it wants to go, which is usually between the middle and third fingers.

i have no idea what the TS is trying to say

lowsound