1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thumb pups mod?

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by gleneg61, Mar 25, 2013.

1. gleneg61

gleneg61

Jan 10, 2008
    Osaka Japan
    I'd like to fatten up my otherwise fine sounding bass to make it perfect.
    How feasible/insane would it be to replace the 2 j pups on a b/o 5 thumb with a $$ pup & have it routed for another slanted j in a neck-ish position a la the dirty blond 5? Or even just get an extra j pup in p position n have the 2 rear pups wired as parallel? Lunacy? Advice/ideas/abuse please!

2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

It’s an excellent idea in my mind. I have had the exact same thoughts with my NT Thumb 5 strings. You cannot replace the 2 jazz pickups with a MM style pickup because its footprint is too small to take up all the routes of the 2 jazz pickups. Wiring them parallel and using them as one pickup as you suggested is correct and routing for another pickup in front is the answer is the best means. My thoughts would be to do another slanted or even parallel J pickup in front. I had even thought of another pickup being a MM style pickup routed in a normal manner. The other plan I have that would work would be to put two EMG DC40 size pickups put in standard parallel to the strings right next to each other and cover the entire footprint of the two J pickups. This will work….