Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thumb ramp

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funktastic, Feb 9, 2006.

1. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    Is there any way to add a ramp onto my warwick thumb without moving the pups any? I'd like to leave some room at the neck at least so i can still slap. Ideas?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Does your Thumb have the two pickups located very close together near the bridge (Thumbs are available with several pickup configurations)?

3. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    They're pretty close, but i still have enough room to work in between them. The bridge pup is the one that is angled, so it kinda throws me off a bit on the ramp idea

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If it's one like this:
    [​IMG]
    there shouldn't be a problem. Mike Flynn, a TBer and the owner of the pictured Thumb, has had a ramp on his for some time now...I would have posted a pic of it with the ramp on, but I can't find one at the moment. You could always PM him for a photo.

The ramp would have to be made as a normal, rectagular ramp would, but cutting the bottom at an angle to match the pickup rather than horizontal (takes 5 seconds if you have a compound miter saw). Small half circles would then have to be routed out for where the pickup screws would go, and then you would just drop the ramp in after removing the strings (and attach it with double stick tape).