1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thumb rest for Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modern Growl, May 15, 2006.

1. Does anyone know where/how I can get a thumb rest that I can attach to the pickguard that looks like it came from the factory from Ernie Ball? Or perhaps a pickguard that comes with this already "built into" it? My main concern is that it looks good. I could just attach a "ghetto" looking piece but I would rather it look clean and "stock", if you will.

I'm having a hard time getting use to using my plucking hand over the pickup, and it feels totally weird without a thumb rest higher up where I usually play on my jazz bass without that thumb rest there. I'm sure you all understand what I'm talking about.

My pickguard is black.

Anyone?

2. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Any local music store will sell thumbrests. You installation will determine whether or not it's 'ghetto.' IMO I think that any standard black thumbrest would look like it was factory direct.

3. Eh, they all sell those vintage Fender thumb rest's.
    I was more or less looking for a "ramp" style thumb rest... but not a ramp, just he length of one. Something like... 3-4 inches long, narrow, and not a high up as the vintage Fender thumb rest.

I saw someone have it on their Ray here on TB. It looked very sleek, but I cannot remember who had it, otherwise I would ask him directly.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you don't want to drill holes, you can use the Scotch foam-style double stick tape. It's more the strong enough to hold a ramp or thumbrest on so long as you don't push down on it really hard.

5. Mod -

I saw a bass where the owner took a black key from a piano and used it for the purpose you describe. Believe it or not, it looked GREAT!

The overall effect was similar to the thumbrest on a Line-6 Variax ...

[​IMG]

6. I've once seen a guy making some holes in his PG, and used that as a thumb rest. You don't have to drill holes in your bass, and with another PG, no one will ever notice