1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thumb rest location?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by camardelle, Jun 15, 2012.

1. I recently had a go at refurbishing an older Squier and had a great time doing it. I noticed something on the bass and others that intrigued a noob bassist like me. My guitar was already drilled for a thumb rest but it seemed to me that it was on the wrong side of the strings. I've seen this on other guitars as well and was wondering if they were used primarily for decoration or what.

Sorry about the obviously noob question, but I wondered. Here's a pic.

DSCN0433.jpg

2. That's the position it held on Fender bassses from the beginning in 1951, it was called a "tug bar" back then because Leo Fender believed bassists would pluck the strings with their thumb and hold on to the tug bar with their fingers, resting their palm on the chrome pickup cover.
    When it became obvious most players were playing with their fingers and not their thumbs, Fender moved the rest to over the E string and then became what is now known as the "thumb rest", sometime in the early 70's.
    BTW, nice bass. Looks like you've got a good one there.

3. Thanks Cliff. That makes a lot of sense. I've since replaced the black rest with a chrome one that i got here on TB. And thanks for the kudos on the refurb. The pics do more justice to the bass than they should but for a first try I'm happy with it. Here's how it looked when I got it....

DSCN0391.jpg

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Ouch.

And...do a search for "tug bar".

5. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I feel sometimes like I could use a pull and a thumb for different tunes but instead I just use the pickup.