thumb rest placement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by drewphishes, Mar 9, 2017.

1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    hey guys,
    Just ordered a thumb rest for my jazz bass. for two reasons. I like the old school look of it and I need somewhere between the neck pup and the neck to rest my thumb as i like to finger style there.

Wondering if there is a standard placement for it. Will be on the low e side and used as a thumb rest and not on the high g side as a finger rest.

is it just whatever is comfortable for me?

does it get in the way of slapping at all?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Use tape to put it in different locations and find the one that fits how you play before you drill holes.

3. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    My .02 cents. You can or should try one of these. Fender Jazz No mod to your J Bass.

If you want a thumbrest for that classic pre-CBS J Bass look. Then, you know where to put it already.

Umm, if you like to pickup up toward the neck, the butt end of the neck is already an excellent place to park your thumb. Like this famous bassist.........

36327b37065052dd942a2bfb645eefc5.jpg 45c336ca5a48be41dd25db6282974d6d.jpg john_paul_jones.jpg

Jazzygreg likes this.
  4. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    I like somewhere in between the neck pup and the neck

5. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Have you considered something like a Zero Mod thumbrest that uses your existing pickguard holes?

jazz1_installed.jpg

6. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    ive seen those. just dont love the look of em

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021