Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb rest question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grindylow, May 16, 2004.

1. Grindylow

Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    I understand the idea of a thumbrest above the strings, so that you don't always have to rest your thumb on one of the pickups. I have seen Jazz and Precision basses with one below the strings at an angle. What are these for?

2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    you put your fingers on the underside of the rest so you can use your thumb and have an anchor.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    that was on the older fenders as said before to anchor your fingers and use your thumb. This was before the electric bass had developed a style of its own and was played pretty poorly by most in its early days. i could see using it if you use a pick though cuz i drag my bottom 3 fingers when i play guitar, and if i had something to anchor them to i might use it i spose, but then again i dont play bass with a pick :)

4. Dublin-Bass

Dublin-Bass Guest

Sep 24, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    I've always found resting the thumb on a pick-up,particularly a P or a J to be quite uncomfortable. I now have thumbrests on 3 of my basses, including my acoustic, and recently bought a 5 string with which I plan to do the same.
    I just prefer the feel the thumbrest provides. Mark Egan and Van Halen's Michael Anthony do that and I see nothing wrong with it.
    One of my basses is a Yamaha BB300,like Paul McCartney used to use on his tours with Wings, and I have 2 thunbrests on that, one behind the pickup and one in front and it has helped me feel a good deal more comfortable playing it and consequently I play it most now. Before that it was gathering dust in my closet.