1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thumb rest under the strings?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by millsbass5, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Now, I like to think that have a pretty damn vivid imagination that I can apply to my "MacGyver-like" skills. But, what purpose does the thumb rest UNDERNEATH THE STRINGS do on Tim Bogart's P-Bass? I've sat here, staring at it for a good 15min., stretching my imagination to hell & back. But, to no avail..... Anyone know?
    Hell, I bet he's done it just to mess with peoples minds. Tim Bogart!!! You tricky bastard.....

http://www.vintageguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/BOGERT-BASS.jpg

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    That's just CRAZY!

I never heard of such a thing!

3. It's for playing with your thumb. The proper name is 'tug bar.'

4. Hell, I found an article. It assists him with a certain playing technique. I would like to see a clip of him actually utilizing it, though. Anyone got a link of him puttin' it to use??

5. Of course it's for playing with your thumb. I do think I'd know that after 35yrs of playing Fenders :D. But not where he has it mounted!!

6. Ah...the link wouldn't open on my phone. Whelp....that's weird. Maybe it's used as a 'ramp' ...to aid picking behind the pickup....I dunno. Weird.

7. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    What kind of technique would need such thing?

8. LOL, that's a weird spot, maybe just for looks? I can't see any useful purpose for it, unless it helps hold a foam mute in place or something.

I gotta sub to this one. I'm very curious what others come up with

9. Just ran across this from here.:

The finger rest, which was installed between the pickup and the bridge instead of the typical location on the pickguard, helped him manipulate the strings.

“In ’65 or ’66, when I started working with the Pigeons, we would do these crescendos. But the volume on Fenders back then would drop off really quickly if you tried working the Volume control. So instead, I would brace my thumb on that rest and work the strings to make the crescendos smoother. I learned to do that very precisely.”