thumb rest

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by twiggy, May 29, 2001.

1. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    my friend has a bass that has something like a block of wood that he anchors his thumb on when he plays what is this do they come on certain kinds of basses or can you put one on anykind off bass. where can you get them if they can be put on any bass. also does any one have or know of any pics of basses with these installed
  2. the Gary Willis signature Ibanez, comes with a thumb rest like you described...

check out ... that thumb rest he uses is called "the ramp"

3. Almost all Fender basses used to come with thumb rest. I have a 78 Fender Jazz with a thumb rest on it that I don't use. I also have a Mex Jazz for back up that didnt have one on it when I bought it new. I changed the pick guard to a black one and it had the holes for a thumb rest so I put one on it. You can buy one at any music store for around $4-$5.
    If you look at an old Fender bass you will see that the thumb rest is on the bottom. Thats because back then most bassist played with their thumb instead of their fingers, So I guess it would then be called a finger rest instead of a thumb rest.
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    There was a nice fretless 4-string Kinal at Bass
    Northwest a while back. It had a chunk o' wood
    between two J-pups. It's kinda' hard to see, but
    it's there :) .

5. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    yes notduane
    that is about where my friends is but his is not that wide it is smaller but i like it it feels right. i would like to install one on my dean.
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I dunno any place that sells a pre-fab'd hunk o' wood
    like that :(. You may have to make your own.

It might be easier (and quicker) to pick up a "normal"
    Fender type thumbrest. Just go somewhere's like dogpile
    and enter fender+thumbrest. There's a bunch of online
    stores that sell `em. You can use double-sided tape to
    position it where it feels best, then attach it permanently
    with a couple screws.

The pic below shows one installed on a (pre-lawsuit?) G&L 1000...

7. Thumb rest?
    I discovered a great thumb rest that's easy to add and won't mess with the guitar finish.
    When a bought a Boss LS-2 it came with 2 blocks of 3"x1/2" rubber with stick-'em on one side. Perfect size for a thumb rest. Attached it to my Streamer Pro M and I find it's very comfortable, looks good... it rocks! I removed it after six months because I was worried about finish damage. Carefully peel up one corner, a little naptha to remove residue and volia'... not a single mark. Then I put another on because I had become spoiled with the great feel and support this amazing thingy gave me.

I believe the part is a foot for the installation of Boss LS-2 into a Boss (plastic) pedal board.

Worth investigating!
  8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    You do the same thing using double sided tape that you can get for fixing car number (license?) plates.
    Saves drilling holes!
  9. Twiggy , I would advise against the thumbrest idea. I purchased a new bass about 7 months ago that due to design would not allow me to plant my thumb comfortably on the pick-up as I was used to. The result was the development of a more floating thumb style that has been a true revelation in my fingerstyle playing. I had never realized the restriction that constantly planting my thumb was putting on things like reach , flexability, speed, and muting techniques .
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Good advice, Rick.

BTW the Willis ramp is mainly to prohibit digging in too hard when playing. It's between the neck pickup an the edge of the fretboard.
  11. I've seen a thumbrest which attaches to the body with a suction cup.. pretty cool!