thumb rest?!?!?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tucker, Jun 18, 2001.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Hey can I add a thumb rest on my spector bass. What is the advantage of these anyways. and why are they on the bottom of jazz basses. I think you'll know what im talking about if you see a pic, righht below the g string.
  2. sure why not add one, you could put it wherever you want it. Although I prefer using the pick-up it has that little ridge where the screw goes in.

this is just a guess I am probably wrong,
    but maybe the rest it is at the bottom on jazz basses for left handed players. Since the pick-up might not be in the correct spot because it would be over to far????

yeah, well I have wondered that myself this is all I can think of
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Originally the thumbrest was placed below the G string for the fingers to hold while the player played using thumb strokes. It was placed above the E string resulting in it's more traditional use as a resting place for the thumb. In the early Fender days, it was pretty sporadic where it was placed, but later basses had it almost exclusively above the E string.

On your Spector, you might try applying one with double-sided tape. This'll save you from drilling holes in the top of the bass...

4. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Nah, it's in the correct spot and it's what I rest my thumb on :D. The name should tell ya I'm a lefty btw :).
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    You can have a thumb rest anywhere you wish, and it will restrict your thechnique where ever you do.

Release your thumb!

This will open a tremendous amount of possibilities, in plucking, muting, chording etc. I just found this out, and practising and exploiting new ideas all the time!
  6. APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Tell me more suburban, how is the best way to play like this and what are the advantages, how did you swap and how long hjas it been - occasionally I find myself floating but on most of the more chunky rhythms I have to rest my thumb - incidentally, I rest on the end of the fretboard and pluck right at the end of the neck.
  7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Oh, my, that is a request, AP....
    First of all, I've been on this for a few months only. From the beginning, it was to get at better muting, to avoid resonance from the lower strings, by just letting the thumb float on the played string + 1.
    Then I found out that this added a portion of quickness in changing strings, because now have five (5!) fingers to pluck with. And also because the tension in the hand is gone, so te fingers will move more freely=faster.
    And then there is chording, that will be more even if you use the thumb and let the pinky (and the loooong middle) rest.

How did (do!) I swap: by consiously removing the thumb from the pup or E-string. Very, VERY often! ;)

Is this answer to your question? Hope so, I don't have much more right now. But one never knows what's coming :D
  8. What? You use your thumb to play chords? Isn't that hard? I used to use the thumbnail, but now I use my index and middle fingers nails on downsrokes, an the tips for upstrokes. How do you do it?
  9. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Classic guitar style, clear and simple.

But, guys, aren't we slipping out of forum here? I mean, it's called "Setup". And isn't there a "Technique" forum?;)

¤sigh¤ All this just because I wrote "release your tumb, and get better"....hah!...suddenly I am a technique guru LOL(hysterically)