1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thumb rest

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OxJohnson, Feb 29, 2008.

1. So I just got an Ibanez ATK300 recently and the tone off of it is just flat out perfect for me and it plays like a dream except for 1 thing... there is no good place to anchor my thumb! Sure, I have practiced with a floating thumb, but it makes me feel... nervous? I feel like I need to anchor, at least for now.

So, the question that I would like to pose is this: Should I get a thumb rest and add it on, or should I just deal with it?! Normally I anchor on the pickup, but this pickup is convex and there is no where good to anchor... it is the weirdest thing. I was doing fine until we ran "One way out" at speed and my thumb just kept sliding up under the E string... ugh!

Ox.

2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    if you feel the need for the rest.. Then by all means DO IT.. If it makes ya groove then DO IT.. If it makes your playing better DO IT, if it makes you more comfortable DO IT..

I am all for modding things to make it better for your personality.

3. i recently put a thumbrest on my jazz, and i really like it. however, i just threw it on level with the top of the pickups, and this proved to be too close to the e string to play it effectively. so i would suggest you really consider where you want to put it before you stick it on there. i really like it between the pickups for the other strings, its just that i cant hit the e as hard as i would like to.

4. Thanks for the responses!

I will have to space it a little off the E string anyways as the pickup is actually encompassed in the bridge. So unless I want to drill through the bridge this is my only option. Thanks for the thought though, because I was seriously thinking about doing that. I have a milling machine so it wouldn't be a huge hassle, but I think you are right, the extra space will help.

Ox.

5. By reading you other posts and seeing some of your work, this is probably the truest statement that has been written on these boards! :bassist:

... and I think your right. :p

Off to get the rest tomorrow after practice!

Ox.

6. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    My suggestion would be to learn "floating thumb" technique – this keeps you from being locked in any one position (either by the pickups, or by the thumb rest). It also facilitates easier string skipping, as well as playing on the upper strings.

TalkBass thread on floating thumb technique.

7. I use floating thumb technique here n' there, but I still like either a pickup or a thumbrest.

8. tercesyrev

tercesyrev Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I had a thumb groove milled into the top. It's about 3 & 1/2" long ( from fret board to bridge pick up) and about 1/4" deep. Blows away any unsightly thumb rest.

9. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    pics please

10. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Old thread i know, but that was my main concern about an ATK300 that just came up for sale , so i didnt buy it ,im so used to playing J Basses and Soundgears that have a built in thumbrest in the form of a front pickup, just feels awkward playing anything else , even a MM :)
    Plus the neck feels like a railway sleeper on those things anyway .

11. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I don't know your particular bass, but if it has a pickguard, see if you can't find at least one of the pickguard screw locations that will put the rest in a usable location. So much the better if 2 line up. Get a longer screw and use the existing hole(s) to mount. No mods to the bass. I've used just one hole before and, if tightened down real good, one will work. If not get a little of that tacky foam and put a little piece under to keep it from moving. At most you'll have a little residue to remove later. There you go. :cool:

12. bill reed

bill reed

Apr 2, 2012
    scotland
    did this with my Rockinbetter, used the screws that were there.
    think it looks much better than the thumb rest on my Yamaha