Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb rests

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Do many basses have thumb rests as standard? I have a Hohner Rockwood Pro with a thumb rest and it's my first bass so i've learnt to play with a thumb rest, is that bad? I bought it 2nd hand and assumed the bloke had put it on but when i took it off i found that although there were holes in the scratchplate for screws there weren't holes in the wood.

Does anyone here have a Rockwood Pro or has had one? Is it any good and roughly how much would it be new?

Cheers

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The vast majority of new basses and basses made for the last couple of decades don't have thumbrests because bassists play fingerstyle, predominantly. Hohner may be keeping them because the marketing guys feel people like the old school vibe. Or, maybe the guy you bought it from thought it looked cool and used it.

Playing with it isn't bad as long as it isn't the sole technique you know. Soon the urge will hit you, (if it hasn't already), to play like (insert famous bassist's name here), and the thumbrest style won't allow you to play that way. Speed wasn't an essential element of electric bass playing when those old basses that had it were introduced and they catered to the way the early makers THOUGHT people would play it. They really didn't know, since the electric bass really had no direct predecessor.

3. Bassgimp, however you play with or without a thumb rest is up to you, as long as you're comfortable playing. Most basses today don't come with thumb rests, my guess would be it's to keep the area by the neck clear for slapping. You can always add one. As for your bass, I'm not familiar with that one. I'm sure someone here is though.

Mike J.

4. Bassgimp, I have a Silvertone 4-string with a Thumbrest, and I had it removed. First of all, I dont like it, and second, in most cases its good not to get used to using a thumbrest. As you play more you'll find that the thumb is useful in muting, and the thumbrest a lot of times reduces speed. Everybody has a style, of course, so I suggest just doing what you feel like is comfortable, as long as it doesnt prevent you from expanding into other areas (slapping, tapping, etc.)

5. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    I rest my thumb on my neck or bridge pickup.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Does anyone know if there's a company that sells thumbrests that you can screw on to your pick guard? (I have a Fender J) Fender doesn't sell them, Allparts and Warmoth don't either. Or a pickguard with the thumbrest?

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Super- I was looking at this place that makes custom amps and came across them (to my shock). They're in "parts and supplies" at www.timeelect.com (Ain't TB grand" ? :D )

8. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    Fender doesn't sell them??.That's news to me and my Fender dealer.He showed me one for sale for something like $6 but I didn't like it[it was too big].It's the traditional rectangular thumbrest, about 1.5 inches long, that was typically screwed on BELOW the strings in the past for some reason.I made a little ebony rest to provide a little something for my thumb to ride against since I play mainly fingerstyle.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Thanks rick... i love you guys... ~sniff~ you're always there for me...

Taurus, i wish i lived by you. i checked at a few of my local stores and didn't see any thumbrests on any of the fender wall o' parts. checked the fender catalogue on the website and didn't see any, but i could have missed them. incidentally, the thumbrests went on the bottom on the first basses so that you could anchor your fingers there, allowing you to pluck down with the thumb (if that makes sense)... at least, that's what leo meant them for...

thanks guys!

10. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    It's possible,but not likely,that the part in question was a "knockoff".I can't remember whether it had a Fender logo on the bag or not.Or,alternatively,it may have been lying around in the store for god knows how many years.I used one of the existing pickguard screws as the "rearward" screw and had to add a new hole of my own forward of it to catch a second screw.These screws are,by necessity,longer than regular pickguard screws.I'd suggest making your own,it doesn't have to be made of ebony.You could even glue a few popsicle sticks or tongue depressors together and "stain" it later with a permanent black marker if you wish.The stock sized Fender item is a little too big and obtrusive anyhow.I play a p-bass,so I don't have the option of resting my thumb against the pickup...I'm also currently using both the bridge and pup covers on my sunburst model,so I can't use the pup as a rest anyhow.