1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thumb rests.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzEADG, Mar 28, 2009.

1. this has always bugged me. why are thumb rests always placed where your thumb isnt? for those having trouble keeping up I mean like this: http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303070572 . it may look cool, but i've never understood the purpose of it being there. shouldn't it be up near the E string? or is it a way of saying "I'm such a tough bassist that I don't need a thumb rest, but I'm going to put it on my bass in an awkward place anyways"

:bag:

2. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Heh, I never understood it either.

My P Bass Rock Band controller has a rest above the 'E String'. :bag:

3. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It's not a thumbrest.

4. crack-boom

crack-boom

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    its so you can hook your fingers under it and pluck the strings with your thumb.

im under the impression that when leo first put it on his basses, he thought that people would play with their thumbs.

5. I was wondering when we were going to have another one of these threads.

It's placed there because years ago they thought bassists would be playing with their thumb, so it's called a tug bar when it's on the bottom side of the strings. You wrap your fingers around it and use your thumb. The only real reason Squier has it like that is because they're trying to make the bass look like an old Fender.

6. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I do play with my thumb on a couple of my band's songs, but the rest seems to bee too close to the G for my liking.

7. oh ok, thanks. so its mostly for making it look old/tug bar? cool.

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Hey, your right EagleMoon - every month or so somebody brings this up. I'm guessing that no one ever bothers to do a category or word search and find the many threads and posts that are here dealing with it. So, here's my 2 cents. First, I'm one of those guys who learned using my thumb in 1963. I still play that way and use the finger rest (tug bar) constantly. Someone on here called it a tug bar, although in my many years of playing, I've never heard it called that. I'm not even sure what Fender called until they moved it to the top side in the mid 70s when it was discovered that bass players were using the finger style play, so they moved it to the top. When mounted on the top, it is indeed called a thumb rest and is referenced to as a thumb rest by all parts suppliers that I've ever seen. :cool: