Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thumb rests

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by way_of_opiatism, Mar 3, 2003.

1. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    should be an easy question for you guys.

im trying to stay off of my neck which i do because i dont like resting on my e. so i figure well i'll just add a thumb rest, but where should i be putting it? theres not a whole lot of room on the e side of my sr300 and im not big on putting it on the g side. so im thinking a little low of the 24th fret or maybe a little closer to the p's but im not sure if i should be right on top of the pups or not. where do you think it should go and about what angle. im doing this to force myself into better habits so keep that in mind. i dont really stick to any genre but i mostly play fingers. should i put the thumb rest on in the first place, and if so where?

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You are only reinforcing a bad habit by using a thumb rest.

It is well worth your time to develop the floating thumb technique. Muting becomes much easier and your speed will probably pick up too.

Pkr2

3. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    im not a big fan of the floating thumb, i've given it the whirl but i'm much more comfortable anchoring on a string or pup or where i usually do, the neck. i have no problems with speed. well im getting lessons starting next monday so i guess the instructor will be fixing my right hand right (heh)
    thanks though.

4. Weasel

Weasel

Feb 18, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    "You are only reinforcing a bad habit by using a thumb rest.

It is well worth your time to develop the floating thumb technique. Muting becomes much easier and your speed will probably pick up too."

Have to ask... I don´t speak english as mother language so I´m not shure if I understood this "floating thumb" correctly.

Does it mean your thumb is "in the air" all the time? And if so, how on earth is is possible to play that way?

Or, your thumb "follows" rest of the fingers when changing from string to string?

Thanks!

5. ya, it's all about the floating thumb, especially if you play five or six,
    the floating thumb doesn't mean it magically floats in the air while you play, it would be real hard to get precision and speed like that i would think.
    but generally for four, when you're playing the e, the thumb rests on the pickup or what have you, when you're playing the a, the thumb is on the e, and for the d and g the thumb can be on the a with the back of the thumb resting on the e, muting it as well, this eliminates the ringing of stings that can be very annoyiing,
    On 5, generally, you rest the thumb on the e and lean your thumb back till it mutes b, you generally don't want your thumb above the e cause you want to keep the b silent. it has a nasty habit of ringing out, which is barely noticable when you're playing in a band, but if you ever do solo stuff with bass alone, you can tell,
    it takes a little practice, to get a smooth transition from string to string, but just practice, and use discrestion, you don't have to move your thumb every time your fingers switch a string, you don't want your thumb flying around all over the place, cause then, you might accidentally pick one of the strings with your thumb, kind of screwing the muting purpose in the first place, anyway, wow that was long, that's all i have to say

6. Weasel

Weasel

Feb 18, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    Thanks bubbles (say hi to Michael :D)!

7. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    i always thought that was another type of anchor, not floating thumb. if so then thats also what i do if im not sitting, if im sitting i play on the neck. its certainly better for 5+ stringed basses.

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, all this time I'm thinking I need to learn this floating thumb thing, then I read this post and realized that's what I do already! :D