1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thumb Singlecut

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 11, 2010.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Anybody ploay one yet? I see the Atlanta Bass Gallery has one:

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I would like it more without the natural insert, but it looks cool.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    indeed.

4. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    I think the natural insert looks ridiculous. I've been disappointed with Warwick designs lately. The Bootsy is a joke, especially for the price. It would be great to see them take a risk and make something more interesting.

5. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The maple insert has been removed after receiving feedback during NAMM 2010. Looks much better. I agree that it looked forced into the design. There are a couple of clips on YouTube of people trying this out but you know how that goes as far as sound quality. Based on the woods used and pickup placement, I doubt this will sound like you're typical Thumb but until I heard/play for myself I'll hold off on any opinions.

6. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I think it's the first Warwick that actually intrigues me... ever since I owned a Thumb 6 back in 1990. That intrigued me, too, and the sound was awesome, however... the design was practically unusable. It couldn't be played on a strap (due to heavy neck dive) and it couldn't be played sitting down (it cut my blood supply off), but it sounded awesome.

Now, after being "done" with the Thumb in 1992 or so, when I sold it, I have not seen a Warwick that has tickled my GAS till now :) But this one is actually something I could see myself playing. :) Without the insert, of course, I agree that one looked silly. ;)

7. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Oh, and I would be seriously surprised if it sounds anything different than a Warwick Thumb... it's got the same design and the same electronics, so I presume the extra ounces of bubinga doesn't change the sound dramatically :)

It's just to enter the same segments that Fodera and Benavente and other singlecut makers are dominating :)