1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thumb slapping on the A string and D string?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TheJimster, Mar 31, 2006.

1. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Hey guys slipknotz again,

My band has been trying to play KoRn covers and well Fieldy in a few songs does hardcore slapping on teh A string and D string. I've tried but it's really weird. Should I go with the Double Finger Fret SLap technique? ANy advice will be appreciated

2. it might be hard because of the style you slap with. if you slap with the hand and/or thumb pointing down, it will be hard to slap on anything but the e. try slapping with your thumb pointing up and your fist pointing towards the headstock.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    It took me for ever to learn to thump on the E and A (I play 5-string with a low-B).

Keep working at it. My 'aim' just slowly-but-consistantly keeps getting better and better.

I've been working at it for a couple years now, and I still can't do fast, flashy slap-play - but groove is what's important; definately most important. Don't forget that. There are some songs that groove much better for me when I play thump/pop style, especially since my double-thumbing has been starting to come-along.

Joe

4. It's really all about precision. Since I don't slap a whole lot, I tend to have some trouble slapping anything but the E on my bass, but check out some of Victor Wooten's instructional videos if it'll help. I know I've found one on google video search before, so if you're cheap/poor/lazy, then you can find it there.

5. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I just started practicing the "follow through" slap technique as opposed to the "bounce" technique, and I get a *much* better attack when I slap the D and even G strings. Rather than bouncing your thumb off of the string, you allow it to follow through and land on the next string below. If you do it right, the attack is almost as loud as popping the strings. As suggested above, check out some of Victor Wooten's videos for examples of the technique.

TheSak