Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb up or down

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by matt bass, Feb 13, 2004.

1. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    When slapping, im guessing most of your guys have your thumb pointing upwards. Ok, if that is the standard way to slap, why was i taught to slap with my thumb downwards? ala Flea. Persoanally i like this method. I have tried slapping with my thumb pointing upwards, and the slapping is no problem, but popping to me is impossible. I guess im doing something wrong.

Any help?

Matt

2. funkymonkey

funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    when i slap, my thumb points parallel to the string. if u do so (or with your thump pointing upwards) u ususally pop the strings with your index finger by placing the tip of it parallely under the string and pop it. flea carries his bass very low, sow his slapping style is necessary here. but he has to pop the strings with the TIP (pointing across the string) of his index finger then. when ur used to one of the popping styles, the other one (at least for me) is quite awkward then. so its just a matter of being used to it. the very advantage of ur style, however, is that u can carry ur bass quite low. for me its nearly impossible to carry the bass as low as flea does while slapping...