Thumb vs Corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Feb 9, 2006.

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    What are the tonal differences between the two? Also Which do you you prefer and why?:) Thanks for the info.
  2. I hands down, God honestly prefer the Warwick Thumb 5 Bolt on opposed to a Warwick Corvette 5 Active, any day. The Thumb has a way greater tonal variety than the Corette IMO, and better tones to pick from. I also dig the look of the Thumb as well as the feel of one on my lap opposed to the Corvette. Killer slap tone, and kick ass jazz tones to be had from both, but I think the Thumb just has a little more 'Oomph' to get the job done!

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Which is better the bolt on or neck thru? What are the differences.
  4. they are different than each other, but I wouldn't say one is better.
  5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I've personally been a fan of the corvette over the years, but I can see where people like the thumb. I like the sound of warwicks bolt-on's though compared to their neck thru stuff.
  6. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Warwick Thumb all the way, the Corvettes are nice, but (IMO) they have nothing on the tone and the look and feel of a Thumb bass.
  7. +1. I don't think it really makes much of a difference, but that's just me. I'm sure the more expereinced player could tell the difference in great detail. The only thing I am aware of, is that a NT will sustain more than a BO.

8. JLTwarwick

Feb 9, 2006
    I have owned and played Corvette 6 string for the last 6 or 7 years. I liked the way the Thumb looked better than the Corvette. It did seem to have a little more tone control at the pickups. However, with the right string selection and amp settings, either would have gotten the job done. But, the Thumb I tried out had a lot of buzz and hiss in the pickups. This "hotness" and or "over-sensitivity" may be the price you pay for more control at the pickups, I don't know. But when I picked up the Corvette model it was as quiet as a mouse and still had wonderful tone. I can turn the amp and the Corvette wide open and still have no unwanted hissing or bizzing to this day. And with DR strings and an SWR rig I can get the same sound. So why would I want to pay an extra $1,500 for buzzing and hissing? I didn't. Perfectly happy for the last 6 years. Now, if they would just make one that wasn't so da** heavy! ;)
  9. The Thumb 5 BO I played was quiter than a mouse...:ninja: . I had the amp pretty cranked too, and the bass performed flawlessly, I guess that's just a QC issue than.

The BO is only about $200 more (if that) than an active Corvette.

10. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I personally think that the corvette proline is one of the best sounding basses in its price range. The proline is the one with the maple body and active pickups. I could never really get into the thumb bolt on at all. IMO it sounds terrible no matter what you do to it. I think the thumb neck through sounds great though, and is one of the better sounding Warwick in that price range. The old thumbs with the wenge necks are real nice too. :bassist:
  11. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Ive owned 2,1998 B.0. thumb basses and a 1992 corvette with EMGS and the corvette sound better then any thumb I have played,But thats imo. I also think most corvettes to me sounds pretty much the same as a thumb bass .Spec wise they are pretty much the same,just the thumb is hyped a whole lot more then the vette.
  12. momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I tried both for quite some time before I went with the corvette. I think if you are looking at BO's, it REALLY depends on whether you are buying a 4,5, or 6. Warwick doesn't seem to make the thumbs sound too much alike between the different models. The corvette and thumb 4 sound similar, and if I were going with the 4, I'g go thumb for the comfort and looks. However, the five string thumb has both PU's about a quarter of an inch apart, which I think gave the bass a bit too much mid range punch, with no big booty. I just couldn't get it done with that bass, so that is why I choose the corvette 5.
  13. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    i own both a corvette proline 4 & thumb 5 bolt on

They sound very different.

Sounds more 'open', neck is a LOT easier to play, lots of tonal variety. the neck pickup does that mellow thing really well.
    I ended up putting EMG's & bypassing the warwick electronics & it made it MUCH better. it's a fantastic recording bass.

it has a very "compressed" sound. not that it lacks in dynamics, it just has that sound you get when you compress the heck out of a bass. it has very little tonal variety, but the tone that it does have is cool. definitely not for everyone, but if you like it's tone it's hard to find it on any other bass. neck pickup sounds terrible. bridge pickup sounds terrible, but put em together & it's magic.

Both basses have a harsh high end. emg's completly fixed it on the corvette, but i think the way to fix it on the thumb is a new preamp... i'll let you know how mine turns out as soon as my aguilar preamp arrives. Neck is like a baseball bat..

I think the corvette is a better "all-around" bass, but the thumb is better if you like that thumb sound.

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    What do you guys think of the Thumb 4 bolt on? I mean by price and tone of it. (I all ready own a Vette 4)
  15. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    the thinbs is great. it does sound VERY different than the corvette tho. I would definitely try on eout before you buy it.

i also like the look of the thumb a lot more. the corvette looks a bit too slick :)
  16. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    had both, thumb had a bit of neck dive. Corvette did not. Could have just been me. My corvette was bubinga body with wenge neck and it rocked
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I disagree, i find the BO costs more than $200 more than a corvette.
  18. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    I own a thumb thru neck and IMO is the best model that Warwick make. When I bought it I was looking for that Warwick growly/woody tone and tried every model at the Bass Centre in London. To me, the thumb thru neck nails that sound. I also found that the thru neck models have much greater sustain and more depth to the sound. The thumb thru neck also has an ebony board and 26 frets which, despite my initial thoughts, I actually do use on occassion.
  19. Meh, my GC has Thumb Bolt-On 5's listed for $1495, and Active Corvette 5's marked at $1250.

20. don't mean to muddy the water here... but have you considered a streamer stage 1 or stage2? for me they balance nicer than the thumb and are much more comfortable than the corvette because of the concave back. it's been the one warwick bass i've held onto. i've let thumbs and corvettes go while holding onto the streamer stage 2.