1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thumb vs. Streamer Stage II '90s!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Thumb!!!

23 vote(s)
    43.4%
  2. Streamer Stage II!!

30 vote(s)
    56.6%
  1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Hello,

I am currently on the market for a new bass. I took the jazzman and the infinity out, but am still interested in the Infinity. I love wenge necks, and the new Warwick necks feel bad. I know Thumb's are great, but the body shape is kinda weird to me. I have never tried a Stage II, but other streamers. I really need help. I know pre '00 Streamers are hard to find, but if I'm lucky I could snag one off eBay or classified.

Thanks

-Arpeggi

P.S. Does anyone know a place in So Cal where I can compare both a Stage II and a Thumb side by side? I really need to find a place.

2. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Dec 31, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I like carrots.

3. I've played both at GC, and found the Streamer body more comfortable. just my 2 bits.

4. from appearance only, i like streamer stage ii better.
    thumb looks ugly

5. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Well, I recently pickup a 96 Fortress Masterman, with the Wenge neck. Not a Rock Bass, but a REAL Warwick. I guess all Warwick bodies are a bit abstract when compared to standard (Spelled Gibson & Fender) body shapes. But that NECK!!! I would get whatever I could find with the WengeWoodNeck!

6. Warwicks are heavy which is why I don't have one. There are a lot of great bass players that use Streamers that I love though... (Stuart Zender, Peanut, old bass player from incubus)

The Streamer has a more balanced feel, great J tones, better looking, and over all better sounding IMO. The thumb balance is terrible, the pickups are in a weird spot, and the looks are lacking IMO. The sound however is rather nice in the right bass players hands (not mine). The neck dive and funny body shape is a love or hate relationship for many of us.

I'd say Streamer for sure. Use the hell out of google for a month and you'll find a used one.

7. Creese

Creese

Mar 27, 2005
    FWA
    My Thumb is more versatile and can tonally morph into anything I need it to be. The Thumb also cuts thru the mix easier than the SS2. It's got more of a "hey whatever you need, I can do that" kinda attitude about it. On the down side, it's not real comfortable and neck dives pretty badly.

The SS2 on the other hand is super comfortable to play but her personality is different. She's more of an "up in your face" player. Better at what she's good at than the Thumb...like when you dig in, she really shines.

Go play both and let the bass pick you. You can't go wrong with either!

8. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    I really need to find a place where I can play both of them side by side! Also, thx for the input everyone

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    streamer bro
    great basses

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I think the thumb sounds better but Streamers balance much better! Either way, if you like Warwick, you're looking at their best "common" models there!

11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1

I have an older Stramer LX5 with a wenge neck and I love it. Great growl, I'm leaving the MEC Js in it too (but I may change it to no EQ, I always leave it flat anyways). Flame maple body through and through, amber finish. I've never played one of the neck-through Streamers, but if they're anything like the LX/Masterman Streamers (or better) they're pretty damned nice.

12. My experiences are totally the opposite. My SSII is considerably more versatile than my Thumb. I can dial in tons of tones on the SSII and can use it for any genre of music. The Thumb, however, seems to do only one thing well. That's the extremely heavy midrange honky/farty tone that we all know well. The SSII is much more comfortable to play. I voted for the SSII. I'll never part with mine. Take in mind that my SSII has EMG's and an Aggie OBP-1, which work really well for the SSII.

13. 90's Streamer Stage II all the way

14. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    What year is your SSII?

15. jtallent

jtallent

Sep 15, 2007
    Mantua, NJ
    Absolutely a Streamer II! Why did you rule out the Streamer Jazzman? Just curious. As for location to play and compare, give Dana B Goods (the Warwick US distributor) a call. I'm sure they can steer you in a good direction. I don't know if they're in the southern part of the state, but it's possible their shop/office is within driving distance (they are in California).

16. Creese

Creese

Mar 27, 2005
    FWA
    Really!!?? One more for the arguement of "it's all in the fingers" I guess.

FWIW, my SS2 is a P-nut Carmel clone w/ the SD AJB5's and STC3a pre. Be it known that the JAN1 retro made the biggest difference tho...

17. It's a '97 with a brass nut and wenge neck.