Thumb vs. Streamer vs. FNA Jazzman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by timidbassist, Feb 10, 2005.

1. I have played the Corvette FNA Jazzman Standard 5 and the Streamer Stage 1 5 string and like the tone of both of them however i have not played the Thumb bass. I am just wondering what you could compare the sound of the Thumb to? I really dont like the looks of the Thumbs but if it has the sound im looking for im willing to sacrafice. What is there for difference in sounds that you can describe, or should i just wait until i have the chance to play one to see.
    Thanks in advance,
  2. RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I'm still trying to decide whether I'm going to get a Streamer Stage II 5 string or a Thumb Neck-Thru 4. I'm probably leaning more toward the Thumb. They're all excellent basses. The best thing is to own them all! :)
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I'd go for a Streamer Jazzman.
  4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The problem is you're asking the opinion of people who will never touch the bass if YOU will like it... that's not gonna work to well. I personally love my FNA Jazzman, I refuse to gig with anything else, including my Sterling even though I love the Sterling's tone. The Thumb sounds like nothing else, I chose the FNA over it because I preferred the FNA's variety of tones, versatility and the neck pup where a neck pup ought to be, the neck. But I do seriously dig Thumbs and think they're awesome basses despite their flaws, balance being number one. Find one, however you can have to and test drive it. Otherwise this is just mental masturbation.
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    +1 I the FNA was probably one of my favorite warwick basses, that and the infinity. It has nice playability and I prefer the sound over the other too.
  6. +1
  7. +2 :D
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You really need to hear a Thumb, as it sounds like nothing else. The closest I have found was a Streamer Stage II that had the optional Duncan Basslines pickup and preamp.

One word of advise re: the Thumb. It has poor ergonomics. It is very neck heavy. I always recommend playing one with a strap, standing up, for a couple of hours before you buy. Especially of you are planning on gigging with the bass.

I know several local bass players who have bought Thumbs because of the tone(it is pretty unique) or because a bassist that they like plays them. A lot of them either sold the Thumb at a loss a few months later, or else hung it up on the wall and don't play it anymore, because of the ergonomics.

Some people can deal with a neck heavy bass. Some can't.

The reason that I always give this advice, is because a neck heavy 5 string nearly damaged my wrist and hand back in the early 90's.

Nobody should have to play a bass that causes them pain, or carpal tunnel syndrome.

A plus to the fact that they are neck heavy is that there are always a lot of used ones for sale. If you can deal with the ergonomics, and don't mind buying used, you can get one at a great price, quite often only a few months old.
  9. I have or have had a Thumb 4 and 5 NT, Streamer 4 SS1 Custom and Streamer SS2 4 and 5. I personally prefer the SS2 over any other Warwick because of the Versatility and the Smooth, Sweet, Even, Tone of the Bass itself (maybe the difference is in the Afzelia). A lot of Studio pros at least own a SS2 that they can use if called upon for the project. I don't know if you want a 4 or 5 but I am toying with the idea of selling my Streamer SS2 4 string because I really don't use it since I have gotten my Sadowsky and it is far to nice a bass stay in its case!! PM me if you (or anybody else) is is in brand new condition and would pass for new in a Guitar Store........

Peace and Chicken Grease,

10. I'm majorly GAS'ing for a Warwick SS2. Have been for years. I sort of see it as the top piece of equipment I would like to someday own. I'd pick one over any fodera or alembic. I dont know what it is, just something about them. Definately would have to go for a vintage 5, has to have the brass nut and wenge neck. Never played on one? What can they be compared to? The thumb was ungodly uncomfortable to play on, corvette is alright but doesnt have the sound I like? Where does the SS2 fall?