Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Futurebass, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Does anybody know of bass guitarists who play only or mainly with their thumbs? I don't mean funk slapping. Just plucking with the thumb. I ask because I think you get the fattest, beefiest tone that way, compared to the other fingers or obviously a pick.

I usually play with a pick but I did a whole gig last night mainly with the thumb and a bit with the fingers and everybody commented how much it sounded like an upright.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Try using the side of the pad of your finger.

It sounds great! I hear that's what the URB players do.

3. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    Larry graham basicly plays with his thumb all the time, becouse he wasn planning on sticking to bass so he just played the way that was more comphatble to him, but hten he eneded up playing it alot longer and became very good just using his thumb, just thought i'd let u no lol, the person who basicly invented slap pop didnt intend to stick to bass

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Monk Montgomery used to play only with his thumb. He's dead now, so does he still count?

5. Sting used a thumb plucking style when he started using his 51 P-bass.

Check out songs from: Ten Summoner's Tales.

I'm pretty sure that is the cd he started using that style.

6. I think Brian Wilson played that way in the Beach Boys (warning:not a fan).

7. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Maybe that's why Carol Kaye played bass on so many of their studio recordings. :bag:

8. True, but Brian Wilson is on the early stuff.

9. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    George Porter Jr. In every picture I've seen of him, he is using his thumb.

He's a bad mother shut yo mouth I'm just talkin' 'bout Porter.