Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seanm, Mar 27, 2004.

Poll closed May 26, 2004.
  1. Have a thumbrest and use it

18 vote(s)
  2. Have a thumbrest and don't use it

11 vote(s)
  3. Removed the thumbrest

13 vote(s)
  4. Have a fingerrest and use it

2 vote(s)
  5. Have a fingerrest and don't use it

4 vote(s)
  6. Removed the fingerrest

5 vote(s)
  7. Added a thumbrest

13 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you have a tumbrest, do you use it? I am differentiating between a fingerrest below the strings and a thumbrest above the strings.
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I added an option...
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I don't like them. The E string is the only thumb rest I need.
  4. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    What about when you are playing on the E string... Do you always rest your thumb on the pickup? Or do you not need the thumb anchored?
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have a thumbrest on my Vette Standard, but it puts my right hand to close to the neck for my liking. So I mainly anchor on the neck pickup
  6. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hmmm, I guess I mentally included adding a thumbrest under having one. Really I am asking the question because when I purchased my latest P bass (a '62 reissue) it did not have thumbrest and I missed it. I then replaced the pickguard (white to black) and it had the thumbrest holes, so I added one. I can play without it by resting on the pickup, but I miss the extra tones you can get playing near the neck.
  7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Floating Thumb.. (Sounds like some kung-fu thing :p..)
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to use them, many moons ago. Now I use floating thumb. I don't currently own any basses that have a thumbrest. I do own a bass to which I once added a thumbrest, and then removed it 3 or 4 years later.
  9. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    I use the B-string as thumbrest until I'm playing with it, that I usually rest my thumb on the front-pickup and/or the wood platform.
  10. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Don't you mean the B string :p?
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    *High fives* Anytime :p
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    At first I didn't have one. Then I added one, used it, then I didn't use it. Then I removed one. So I guess I clicked 4 options :p
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use floating thumb technique, but whilst im playing the E string (or B on a 5'er) I generally rest it on a pickup. On 4 stringers its usually the neck pickup (which in my Godins case is a P pickup) and on my Spector 5 i usualy rest it on the Bridge pickup so i have more tension on the B string.
  14. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Not sure what "floating thumb" is, did a search and got 119 hits, most only having thumb in the post....

I actually have never even THOUGHT of using a thumbrest. When I play, I use my thumb and the first three fingers to pluck. Until recently, I injured the tip of my index finger, I never even used a pick. I took it as a sign from God saying "Thine shalt not be a lazy ass." So now I've been woodshedding the pick.

When I started playing I did firmly plant the thumb about an inch above my E string, then I slowly started resting the thumb on the string and that led to my actual use of it.
  15. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I want one. Theres nothing to keep my hand up when I play on the ideal spot on my bass. Maybe its just bad technique but I wouldn't mind having a thumbrest.
  16. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    No thumb rests.

I also use the floating thumb / right hand playing position. I may be using the top of the pickup, the B string, or E string, for my thumb rest depending. My right hand floats between the front pickup and bridge pickup positions, depedning on the tone that I'm going for.

For those that do prefer thumb rests, you can actually make a customized thumb rest and position it right where you want it. back in high school when I did use a thumb rest on my Fender P bass, I removed the stock finger rest which was just below the G string and repositioned it right above the E string, and just to the rear of the pickup. I even did some customized trimming of the plastic rest so that it fit flush with the top of the pick up. It looked weird but did the job.
  17. I play with a floating thumb position.

Remember that before 1974 the thumb rest was called a TugBar and resided below the G string, after 1974 Fender began positioning the thumb rest over the E string.

I leave both versions on all my basses but I never use them really!

18. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Anyone know a cheap way to make a thumbrest?
  19. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Well if you're brave, crafty and/or don't mind your bass looking ghetto, just make your own and then bolt it where you want it. I have never had a problem doing dumb things to my basses like drawing on them, tearing things out or slapping stuff on it because I know that I personally will never sell or trade any bass that I buy no matter how much I hate. I mean, I name all my basses, so there's a bit of a personal bond and a story to each one.

I guess I really don't hold how my bass looks high on my priority list. Hell, if you want to be all "crazy artist", go out in the woods, find a nice branch, whittle it down, stain/seal/paint it and then bolt that sucker to your electric plank. I mean, you'll have a limited edition, one of a kind thumbrest. It'll be like a Carl Thompson bass.... without being quite as handmade.... And as far as "crazy artist" things go, it sure beats the hell out of cutting off your own ear and mailing it to someone. ;)
  20. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I play with my thumb, as any other finger. They only rest on long notes... :hyper: