1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thumbs and shoulders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've had three Thumbs - an '03 BO 6, a '93 NT 6, and I forget what year walnut 5. Fabulous instruments. However, I started having some shoulder trouble, probably from something not bass-related, and I found that the Thumbs really exacerbated it. I would go to church on Sunday, rehearse for an hour, play through the service, and my left shoulder would hurt for days. I finally figured out that it was the "reach" down to the low notes that was doing it, along with the neck dive. I finally sold them off, and since then I've been playing basses with a longer upper horn, and my shoulder seems to have healed. It took many months to loosen up, but now I have no pain from playing.

I love everything about the Thumb, except the pain.

Anyone else have physical problems associated with one style of bass?

2. I love Warwicks; they sound terrific and are wonderfully beautiful. But they are so heavy that they consistently hurt my lower back. I stopped using them years ago. I have had 9 of them. Not anymore! Chambered Sadowskys all the way now...

3. Did you ever try a Corvette? Mine is light as a feather and the longer upper horn makes it easy to play longer standing up. Obviously the vette is a different sound than the Thumb but kind of the same general tonal idea.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've had three Corvettes; a Proline 4, a $$ 4, and a $$ 5. I think I'd prefer a Standard Ash over the others. I'll have to try one if I can find one. The Proline was pretty nice. The tone of the $$'s left me wanting a bit.